Jul 5, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
We interrupt today’s free-agent frenzy to bring you the news that Tyler Seguin‘s mom is pretty angry at the Boston media.
It’s not hard to guess why. After her 21-year-old son was traded to Dallas yesterday, multiple accounts of his hard-partying ways were published in different outlets.
The first, from CSN New England:
According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto.
The second, from The Boston Herald:
Multiple sources said the 21-year-old Seguin crossed the line this season with reckless partying.
It apparently got so bad that during the playoffs, the Bruins ordered Seguin to live in a hotel, where a guard was hired to make sure he stayed in his room.
Enter Seguin’s mom, Jackie, in an interview with the Toronto Star:
“That’s not true,” Jackie said, adding that she and her husband, Paul, spent much time with their son in Boston during the Stanley Cup final.
“I know that for a fact,” she added, her voice rising. “The whole team lived in the hotel. That’s crap. Oh, my God. That’s stupid stuff. That’s very unfair to say that. He’s a professional. That makes me very angry.”
She said Tyler often didn’t even go out for dinner because he wanted to stay back in the team hotel in Boston.
Jackie went on to accuse the Bruins’ organization of launching a post-trade smear campaign against her son.
“Boston is now trying to justify why they’re getting rid of Tyler. Obviously, they don’t want a fan backlash against (general manager Peter) Chiarelli,” she said. “Now they’re making up stories.”
Publicly, the Bruins actually supported Seguin yesterday.
“No player is perfect, either as a player or an individual,” said Chiarelli. “All this stuff mushrooms into a proliferation of items on social media and I get overwhelmed by the number of stuff that comes out. Maybe some of it is true, but I know not all of it is true. . . . Tyler is a 21-year-old, he is a good kid, he’s got a good heart and he is going to continue to grow up.”
Whether stories are being leaked through back channels, or perhaps reporters are unloading all the dirt they didn’t want to unload when Seguin was still a Bruin, it’s hard to say.
It may be a good thing he’s getting a fresh start in Dallas though.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)