Jul 4, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
And now that they’ve traded the 21-year-old to Dallas, we’re learning some context to that “become more of a professional” angle.
According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto.
For some, the above may seem like piling on. Ditto for this since-deleted tweet from a Boston bar:
But like Patrick Kane in Chicago, Seguin’s off-ice activities have become part of the narrative.
Now it’s up to Seguin to silence the critics with his play, just like Kane did.
Chiarelli on rumors abt Seguin off the ice: "Maybe some of its true. Maybe some of it wasnt. Need to remember he's 21 and has a good heart"—
Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) July 04, 2013
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54