Jul 4, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
And now that they’ve traded the 21-year-old to Dallas, we’re learning some context to that “become more of a professional” angle.
According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto.
For some, the above may seem like piling on. Ditto for this since-deleted tweet from a Boston bar:
But like Patrick Kane in Chicago, Seguin’s off-ice activities have become part of the narrative.
Now it’s up to Seguin to silence the critics with his play, just like Kane did.
Chiarelli on rumors abt Seguin off the ice: "Maybe some of its true. Maybe some of it wasnt. Need to remember he's 21 and has a good heart"—
Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) July 04, 2013
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 17
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 61
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 60
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)