Jan 13, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
As part of their campaign to win back fans following the lockout, the Detroit Red Wings are holding a Red and White Game at 6:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday that the general public can attend at no cost.
Those that go to the contest early will be in for a treat, according to the Detroit Free Press.
The timing coincides with the expected return of Pavel Datsyuk, who was given permission to play in the KHL All-Star Game. By delaying the announcement until Tuesday, it will ensure that Datsyuk and the rest of the Red Wings will be present.
Zetterberg will become the 36th captain in the team’s storied history and replace the retired Nicklas Lidstrom.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)