Sep 6, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings face the proposition of moving on without Nicklas Lidstrom, which forces the team to find a new captain – among other things.
Zetterberg told Hedger that he’d be “honored” if that ended up happening.
“We’ll see what happens the next few weeks,” Zetterberg said. “If they ask, I will be honored. It’s something that you always hope you’d have a chance to do in your career, especially with a team like this in a city like this, with the past and the ownership and the history we have.”
“I think he’d be a little more vocal than Nick,” Howard said. “Nick was vocal when he had to be, but Nick was a lot more cerebral as a captain and just did his job to perfection. (Zetterberg) is a more vocal and emotional kind of leader.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25