Jan 9, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
The agent for Pavel Datsyuk says his client has been granted permission by the Red Wings to participate in Sunday’s KHL All-Star Game.
Gary Greenstin told the Detroit Free Press that Datsyuk — who was plying his trade with CSKA Moscow prior to the end of the NHL lockout — has received an OK from Detroit brass to play in the game in Chelyabinsk, Russia.
After that, Datsyuk will be on his way to Detroit.
“Pavel loves Red Wings organization. He make his name in Detroit,” Greenstin said. “He belongs to them, and Detroit belong to him.
“He has permission to play in All-Star Game. He had reservation to fly the 11th; now I believe he will fly on the 14th.”
Datsyuk’s inclusion is just the latest in the KHL All-Star Game saga, which has garnered a lot of attention recently.
On Wednesday, it was learned New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk was still on the official ASG roster, news that raised eyebrows given eight other NHL stars originally named to the event had been removed.
(Though it now appears Datsyuk is back on the list.)
The Kovalchuk development added fuel to the fire that he might not return to North America at all this season and play out the year with SKA Saint Petersburg.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com that Kovalchuk hasn’t asked permission to play in the All-Star Game, but also said he’s not 100 percent sure when NHL camps or the season will start — ergo, no reason to jump to conclusions.
“I have no reason to believe [Kovalchuk] won’t be here,” Lamoriello said. “I don’t even know what day the ratification is. I don’t even know when we start, yet. There’s too many unknowns to make any decisions, so I’m not even getting into anything.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 31
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)