Jan 9, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
The agent for Pavel Datsyuk says his client has been granted permission by the Red Wings to participate in Sunday’s KHL All-Star Game.
Gary Greenstin told the Detroit Free Press that Datsyuk — who was plying his trade with CSKA Moscow prior to the end of the NHL lockout — has received an OK from Detroit brass to play in the game in Chelyabinsk, Russia.
After that, Datsyuk will be on his way to Detroit.
“Pavel loves Red Wings organization. He make his name in Detroit,” Greenstin said. “He belongs to them, and Detroit belong to him.
“He has permission to play in All-Star Game. He had reservation to fly the 11th; now I believe he will fly on the 14th.”
Datsyuk’s inclusion is just the latest in the KHL All-Star Game saga, which has garnered a lot of attention recently.
On Wednesday, it was learned New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk was still on the official ASG roster, news that raised eyebrows given eight other NHL stars originally named to the event had been removed.
(Though it now appears Datsyuk is back on the list.)
The Kovalchuk development added fuel to the fire that he might not return to North America at all this season and play out the year with SKA Saint Petersburg.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com that Kovalchuk hasn’t asked permission to play in the All-Star Game, but also said he’s not 100 percent sure when NHL camps or the season will start — ergo, no reason to jump to conclusions.
“I have no reason to believe [Kovalchuk] won’t be here,” Lamoriello said. “I don’t even know what day the ratification is. I don’t even know when we start, yet. There’s too many unknowns to make any decisions, so I’m not even getting into anything.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)