Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
The Red Wings will soon announce Henrik Zetterberg as the 36th team captain in club history.
MLive’s Ansar Khan reports the club is set to confirm what was pretty obvious upon former captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement — Lidstrom called it career in late May and, soon after, pundits began pegging Zetterberg as the likely heir to the “C”.
The 32-year-old has spent his entire 10-year career in Detroit, leading the club to the Stanley Cup in 2008, winning both the Conn Smythe and Selke trophies.
With the move, Zetterberg will become Detroit’s third captain since 1986 — joining Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman — and just the
third fourth Swedish captain in the NHL, along with Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
Oh, and since we’re on the captaincy tip…
The Flyers have yet to decide who will wear the “C” for 2013. Nobody inherited it last season after Chris Pronger was shut down — instead, the Flyers went with a trio of alternates: Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen.
Philly GM Paul Holmgren told the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli he hadn’t started thinking of naming a captain yet.
“I guess I’ll have to add it to the list,” he said.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)