Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
The Red Wings will soon announce Henrik Zetterberg as the 36th team captain in club history.
MLive’s Ansar Khan reports the club is set to confirm what was pretty obvious upon former captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement — Lidstrom called it career in late May and, soon after, pundits began pegging Zetterberg as the likely heir to the “C”.
The 32-year-old has spent his entire 10-year career in Detroit, leading the club to the Stanley Cup in 2008, winning both the Conn Smythe and Selke trophies.
With the move, Zetterberg will become Detroit’s third captain since 1986 — joining Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman — and just the
third fourth Swedish captain in the NHL, along with Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
Oh, and since we’re on the captaincy tip…
The Flyers have yet to decide who will wear the “C” for 2013. Nobody inherited it last season after Chris Pronger was shut down — instead, the Flyers went with a trio of alternates: Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen.
Philly GM Paul Holmgren told the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli he hadn’t started thinking of naming a captain yet.
“I guess I’ll have to add it to the list,” he said.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)