Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
The Red Wings will soon announce Henrik Zetterberg as the 36th team captain in club history.
MLive’s Ansar Khan reports the club is set to confirm what was pretty obvious upon former captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement — Lidstrom called it career in late May and, soon after, pundits began pegging Zetterberg as the likely heir to the “C”.
The 32-year-old has spent his entire 10-year career in Detroit, leading the club to the Stanley Cup in 2008, winning both the Conn Smythe and Selke trophies.
With the move, Zetterberg will become Detroit’s third captain since 1986 — joining Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman — and just the
third fourth Swedish captain in the NHL, along with Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
Oh, and since we’re on the captaincy tip…
The Flyers have yet to decide who will wear the “C” for 2013. Nobody inherited it last season after Chris Pronger was shut down — instead, the Flyers went with a trio of alternates: Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen.
Philly GM Paul Holmgren told the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli he hadn’t started thinking of naming a captain yet.
“I guess I’ll have to add it to the list,” he said.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)