Report: Detroit will name Zetterberg captain

Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT

Henrik Zetterberg Getty Images

The Red Wings will soon announce Henrik Zetterberg as the 36th team captain in club history.

MLive’s Ansar Khan reports the club is set to confirm what was pretty obvious upon former captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement — Lidstrom called it career in late May and, soon after, pundits began pegging Zetterberg as the likely heir to the “C”.

The 32-year-old has spent his entire 10-year career in Detroit, leading the club to the Stanley Cup in 2008, winning both the Conn Smythe and Selke trophies.

With the move, Zetterberg will become Detroit’s third captain since 1986 — joining Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman — and just the third fourth Swedish captain in the NHL, along with Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.

Oh, and since we’re on the captaincy tip…

The Flyers have yet to decide who will wear the “C” for 2013. Nobody inherited it last season after Chris Pronger was shut down — instead, the Flyers went with a trio of alternates: Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen.

Philly GM Paul Holmgren told the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli he hadn’t started thinking of naming a captain yet.

“I guess I’ll have to add it to the list,” he said.

1. tmoore4075 - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Easiest decision ever. I’ve always said I would wait until he was named captain to buy a Zetterberg jersey. But now I can’t get myself to fork over money to the NHL/NHLPA.

• michiganhockey11 - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

He’ll be a good captain, but I’ll never wear another Wings jersey with a ‘C’ on it other the ‘The Captain’.

• tmoore4075 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Stevie Y’s was my first jersey. He’s by far my favorite player of all time but wouldn’t stop me from getting a Z jersey.

2. jernster21 - Jan 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

WRONG. Landeskog is Swedish too.

3. thecheeman - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Devils need to figure out a captain too. No big deal forgetting about them. They only made the Stanley Cup finals and then had their Captain sign a monster deal with a piece of garbage team.

• zetaone - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

What’s to figure out? It’s probably going to be Elias..

• zetaone - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Unless they want to go and make a bonehead decision like the Caps and make Kovy their captain (lol).

• thecheeman - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Elias is entering the last year of his deal like Parise last season. Kovalchuk has 13 more seasons and already had an A, and was the team’s best player in the regular season and playoffs last year. So you might be right about Elias but I don’t think he’s the favorite. Salvador and Clarkson are longer shots but I think realistic choices. Clarkson played for DeBoer in juniors and had his career taken to new heights by him, and it’s hard to imagine he won’t be a Devils beyond this year even though it’s his contract year as well.

• thecheeman - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

If Elias did leave or retire, the Devils would just make Kovy captain again anyway. Then we would have 4 captains in 4 seasons:

Langenbrunner 2010-11 (and traded mid-season for nothing), Parise 2011-12, Elias 2012-2013, Kovy 2013-2014.

Even if Elias signs another one year contract it’s Kovy’s team now and eventually Kovy’s Captaincy anyway. You could make it happen now and make that reality official.

• danphipps01 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Elias was unhappy with the captaincy last time. It’s not a particularly great fit for him. Besides, Kovy’s not Ovechkin – he’s responsible at both ends of the ice, plays hard every game and actually has the personality type to serve as a mature leader.

• thecheeman - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Who said Elias was unhappy with the Captaincy? I’ve read he was offended when Brent Sutter took it away from him.

4. misterchainbluelightning - Jan 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Pretty sure Claude Giroux sweaters are getting needle and thread taken to them as we read this.

5. Rumor - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Please clarify if you’re saying Zetterberg is becoming the 4th ever Swedish NHL captain, or the 4th active. Sundin was also captain, as was Lidstrom, who is mentioned in this article.

• jernster21 - Jan 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It’s pretty obvious he’s specifying current Swedish NHL captains.

• Mike Halford - Jan 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Appreciate what you’re claiming, but the article reads “in the NHL”. Sundin’s not in the NHL, nor is Lidstrom. There are only four Swedish captains in the NHL.

6. Rumor - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Other than forgetting to mention non-current captains, please show how it’s “pretty obvious” he’s referring only to current captains. Why, in the same paragraph that he’d mention past Detroit captains (pretty obviously), would he then shift to current Swedish captains?

• danphipps01 - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Don’t ask me, man, you look like the only one having trouble keeping up. It’s pretty clear to me what he was trying to say from the phrasing “in the NHL.” I don’t know about anyone else, but that means “current” to me. If you’re retired, you’re (shockingly) not in the NHL anymore. Maybe not blindingly obvious, but do you really need your hand held the whole way?

7. anthonycarch22 - Jan 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Not positive, but i think Forsberg had the C for a lil in Philly. Not %100 tho.

• jernster21 - Jan 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

He did.

8. Rumor - Jan 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I wouldn’t say there were “just” four Swedish captains when I’m describing 7.5% of current captains. Maybe that’s why you’re having trouble keeping up. Now, when there have been “just” a handful of Swedish captains in the history of NHL captains, it’s a little more appropriate. If there was “just” a 7.5% chance that you would die if you went outside today, would you agree with the suggested insignificance of that number, or would you appreciate it for what it is, a significantly high number? I’m afraid that if you haven’t realized the significance of the blogger’s distinction by now, you never will, and this entire analysis has been wasted on you. I’ll let you work it out on your own from this point forward, with the hope that you might catch on eventually.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches