Jan 7, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
The Red Wings will soon announce Henrik Zetterberg as the 36th team captain in club history.
MLive’s Ansar Khan reports the club is set to confirm what was pretty obvious upon former captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s retirement — Lidstrom called it career in late May and, soon after, pundits began pegging Zetterberg as the likely heir to the “C”.
The 32-year-old has spent his entire 10-year career in Detroit, leading the club to the Stanley Cup in 2008, winning both the Conn Smythe and Selke trophies.
With the move, Zetterberg will become Detroit’s third captain since 1986 — joining Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman — and just the
third fourth Swedish captain in the NHL, along with Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson, Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
Oh, and since we’re on the captaincy tip…
The Flyers have yet to decide who will wear the “C” for 2013. Nobody inherited it last season after Chris Pronger was shut down — instead, the Flyers went with a trio of alternates: Daniel Briere, Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen.
Philly GM Paul Holmgren told the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli he hadn’t started thinking of naming a captain yet.
“I guess I’ll have to add it to the list,” he said.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 1
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 26
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)