May 31, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
Few job titles change with less frequency than captain of the Detroit Red Wings.
In the last 26 years, only two players have worn the “C” above the Winged Wheel — Steve Yzerman and the recently-retired Nicklas Lidstrom. As such, there’s great curiosity on who’ll become just the third Detroit captain since 1986.
Well, there’s curiosity and a pretty popular choice: Henrik Zetterberg.
That proclamation was followed by a number of folks on Twitter saying “Zata” is the man:
Helene St. James, Detroit Free Press: “Bank on Henrik Zetterberg being named the next captain of the Detroit Red Wings.”
Dan Fenner, Oakland Press: “Lidstrom cites Zetterberg’s leadership first among his teammates. there’s your next captain, folks. As if there was any doubt.”
Dave Stubbs, Montreal Gazette: “Zetterberg is a big talent but he’ll need HUGE feet to fill Lidstrom’s skates if he’s named Red Wings captain as expected.”
Tom Leyden, WXYZ Detroit: “Babcock said next captain is no brainier. Cleary said Zetterberg will be fantastic captain. You connect the dots.”
Zetterberg is currently one of three Wings — along with Kronwall and Pavel Datsyuk — serving as alternate captains. If he ascends to the full captaincy, he’ll become one of just three Swedish captains in the NHL, along with Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson (who is mulling retirement himself) and Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)