NHL, union plan to meet Monday

Dec 30, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT

garybettmangetty Getty Images

It looks like the NHL and NHLPA won’t have a bargaining session Sunday night, but the two sides are expected to have a face-to-face meeting on Monday, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.

After the NHL made new concessions in its “comprehensive proposal” earlier this week, the league and union engaged in a series of information gathering discussions over the weekend.

It is believed that the NHLPA is working on a counteroffer, but after talking to several agents, the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts doesn’t think the NHL’s latest offer contains any deal-breakers for the players. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the negotiations are all-but done.

We won’t have a better idea about how close the NHL and union are until the NHLPA reveals its proposal and the NHL reacts to it. If all goes well, the season could start on Jan. 19, but time is rapidly running out.

If nothing gets done in the next couple of weeks, its possible that the 2012-13 campaign will be lost entirely.

1. capsrockva - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

get the dam thing done if you people care about the fans… The ones who pay you dam salaries

2. atwatercrushesokoye - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Cue blohard to come on and tell us that he knew it was January 19th all along…after he guessed Thanksgiving, mid December, Christmas and then New Years, oh he’ll do all that while posting some Elvis YouTube video.

• ravenscaps48 - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Blompkin

• id4joey - Dec 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

screw the date…. blomfeld was the only here to say the whole thing was a charade and stood by his claim throughout the lockout. Now the outcome is already known, and proof that the owners were playing the players all along is obvious. But! No! You nit pick about the date, and blomfeld was the first to report Jan 19 as the start date, which he got from news reports. Still sheep here questioned this info, and then what? The NHL announced that the actual date of Jan 19 has the start date is in the proposal. Grow up!

Now cue in blomfeld with the King.

• mpg44 - Dec 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

So your calling people sheep cause they won’t follow yours and blumpkins so called predictions ? Kind of hypocritical if you ask me. The both of you have constantly changed what you “stand by ” at least a couple of times . Neither of you knew anything and neither of you have “sources” , so please get over yourselves!!

• atwatercrushesokoye - Dec 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM

First off he wasn’t the first to “report” anything if he took it from what actual reporters were saying. Secondly by your rationale no matter when they settled, even if it was 2 years from now then it was proof it was a charade and that he was right?

Shouldnt you be checking Twitter for more info from your “sources?”

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Watergate – What are you, nuts ? Listen, I’m gonna let this one slide. But make no mistake about it … you have no idea of who you’re dealing with here. Tread carefully pal …

• id4joey - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Actually, I get the news via the phone before it comes out on twitter, and surely even you will understand it’s much easier to share twitter than my phone calls. LOL!

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Listen there Miles Per Gallon … you are indeed sheep and a rather unpleasant one at that! Joey is a person living in Montreal and with all kidding aside, he obviously knows what he’s talking about and he obviously knows some people there (Bergeron). As for me, I’m just a guy living here in Vancouver (ie: in a very nice “executive” condo) and I have absolutely no sources at all, other than the good Lord himself and my own intuition. Now I obviously don’t know you from Adam here at this faceless “techno-electronic” PHT forum. But based on your recent remarks, one could safely assume that you my friend are four-legged, you have a tail, and you likely spend your days dining on grass in various pastures.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM

And by phone calls you mean between you and Blojo?

Jody: did you see what my best friend of all time Bergeron said?
        Blojo: yeah, I read it in between Elvis videos
        Jody: sweet I guess it’s confirmed then, now I can report it like I have credentials.
        Blojo: did you know the Love Me Tender is the greatest Elvis song, friend?
        Jody: I have to go post my “inside” info right now, then I’ll log on using my 7 other names and praise myself
        Blojo: okay friend, I’ll do likewise after a few more Elvis videos.

End scene

• mpg44 - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Like I give a rats a$$ what you think of me blumpkin boy !!! The mere fact that you are calling me a sheep for speaking MY mind makes you nothing more then a hypocritical moron and you know I’m right !! I really do t give a sh!t where you girlfriend Joey is from , that doesn’t mean a damm thing. You at least only changed your predictions until after the day had past , for that (and only that I will give you credit) , Joey ballbag on the other hand has been inciting damm near riots with his ever changing predictions. You want to stick up for your girl , that’s cool . I get it . But you and you girl have absolutely no rights of grounds to call anyone a sheep for not going along with YOUR opinions . That sir , IS the definition of a hypocrite !!

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM

*** just the other day, on the approaches to the town ***

Blomfeld: is Sportfan’s division all up and ready ?

Joey: that they are … and so is Proudliberal’s

Blomfeld: what about Badintent’s artillery ? .. are they in position too ?

Joey: ready to give ‘em hell …

Blomfeld: this is going to be a slaughter .. these fools have absolutely no idea, do they ?

Joey: don’t matter Blom … these MPG people have been asking for it …

Blomfeld: yes, that they have .. alright then, give the order to open fire !

• mpg44 - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:27 AM

The only sheep will be you and your girl Joey , front and center on opening night ! Quick to return just as Bettman said would happen !! Who are the sheep now!!

• id4joey - Dec 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM

atwatercrushesokoye, are you that ignorant? There will be a shortened season this year. Accept the fact that blomfeld has been right about the charade and Bergeron about the first to report there would be a shortened season. Get your head out of your jock strap and breath the fresh air to clear your head.

Go NHL. Go Bettman. Go players.

• paledevil - Dec 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I didnt want to tell him but since you brought it up

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Back off Paledevil … seriously !

Look man, I know you probably mean well and all, but please don’t go down that road. Elvis had many imperfections as a human no doubt, just as we all do … but “gaiety” was never one of them. He was a “red blooded” as they come! Nonetheless, I know for a fact that Elvis would have treated gays with the same respect and dignity that he would have for any of his countless Hollywood “bimbo” starlets … very unlike John Lennon, who maliciously toyed with the “gay” advances of Beatle’s manager Brian Epstein over the years. The bottom line is that all guys should always at least “try” to be a little bit like Elvis, Jesus, Obama, Carter, Reagan, Nelson, Quick and Mandela in their lives. For if they did, then this world would be so much of a better place!

• sportsfan69 - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Hey Blomfeld,

Some people are just full of hate. They have miserable lives.

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Comrade Sportsfan – My old friend Stransky explained this to me many years ago, when I was a youngster. He said that often, the more they love you, the more they will feign the opposite. It’s so true and it applies to virtually every facet of our lives, whether that’s one advancing in business, pursuing a woman or simply speaking the truth.

3. broadstbully33 - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM

My sources tell me the players have already wiped their butt cracks with this proposal and sent it back to bettman just cause. Thanks Joey you have been great

4. mpg44 - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

If this has been the plan all along or both sides really don’t give a crap about playing this year…. Either way both sides are a bunch of asshats!!

5. gvbulldogs - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I bet they will be meeting every Monday through the summer.

6. jimw81 - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

bryzgalov said the lockout is over.

7. paperlions - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Wait a second. One side made a proposal, and then the two sides talked about some of the important issues so that the other side could use that information to fashion a counter offer? But….that is like…..a negotiation.

8. proudliberal85392 - Dec 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Bryzgalov’s a flake, however, In Blomfeld We Trust.

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Admiralty Orders to HMS Blomfeld: With regard to any vessel that poses a threat to USS Proudliberal, you are hereby instructed to engage such vessel and either “burn, sink or take her a prize”.

9. badintent - Dec 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM

If Jimmy “Grits and Sh*ts Carter could bribe Egypt and Israel with $ 10 Billion dollars to stop fighting, surely , Odrama could do the same for the NHLPA and the owners

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Comrade Badintent – No kidding eh? The level of sheer “naivete” here at PHT is positively dumbfounding to me! Given the untold billions that these owners now stand to gain, a “compliant and compromised” Fehr costing say 20 x mil, is nothing but “flush money” for these people in the big picture.

Blomfeld sidebar: When I visited the 390th USAAF Bomber Group Memorial Museum in Tucson AZ three years ago, I had a wonderful day looking around and then chatting with a couple of the volunteers who were B-17 vets themselves from the war. I t was actually one of the nicest days that I’d had in years. Anyway, one thing that I learned was that the reason German fighters would “disengage” over a target was because of the flak fire from the ground. I had always wondered about that beforehand, until these fine gentlemen explained the reasoning for me. :)

• badintent - Dec 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Yes, the flak increased 10fold as the Germans moved the 88 mills from cities they no longer wanted to defend to the major cties that they hoped to defend. 1945 was a brutal year for flak.. The NYT bestseller book by Senator McGovern called “The wild Blue Yonder” had some coverage on this.Great book, I highly recommend it for some great winter reading in lieu of watching NHL games !

10. bearsnbills - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Seriously too late… No longer care…

11. inhokewetrust - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Dear fans
    Don’t u feel bad for us…we make 2.4million per home game…Mayby it’s time a charity is set up for us….
    Your pal LARRY TANUMBUCKS and the BILLIONARES at MLSE

• blomfeld - Dec 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Don’t despair friend … Gary is going to “fix” these people real good !

• sportsfan69 - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:06 AM

One of my uncles was in the German 6th Army. He was on leave during the Soviet encirclement. My uncle was one of the lucky ones to make it out. He would explain to me how they would go out on scouting missions and losses they would suffer on a daily basis. Our generation lacks sacrifice, honor, respect, and dignity.

Our generation likes to ridicule and are quick to judge others falsely. Did you read the earlier story?

• blomfeld - Dec 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Hi Sportsfan. That’s an interesting story about your uncle in Russia. And what you say about today’s generation is only so true, especially when compared to what our parents and their parents had to endure. My own grandfather “Opa” had a price put on his head by the Russians. They caught him in ’45 and it apparently didn’t look good, but he miraculously escaped and made it to the west in ’47 (ie: it’s too long of a story to cover here). Meanwhile my mum was serving with the British Army as a young stenographer at GHQ Cairo. Yes I saw your note in the other story and I will attempt to reply back to you … stand by.

ps: Happy New Year to you as well my friend !!! :)

Top 10 NHL Player Searches