NHLPA reportedly working on counteroffer

Dec 28, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT

Donald Fehr: Sidney Crosby AP

We said earlier it was hard to imagine the players would accept the NHL’s new CBA offer in its entirety. And apparently they won’t.

The NHLPA is holding a conference call this afternoon to update its members; however, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports a counteroffer is already in the works.

It’s likely this roller-coaster still has a few loops and corkscrews to go before we learn if there’s going to be a season or not. The NHL has canceled games through Jan. 14, so time remains for more rejections and posturing.

Fun!

Update: Courtesy ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, here are the full details of the NHL’s latest offer.

1. lordfletcher - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

so after this counter, the owners will counter again,….and will then a deal be struck?

ugh. JUST GET IT DONE ALREADY

2. ron05342 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Of course there will be a counter offer. It’s the negotiation process.

This is good news, not bad.

But if recent events are any indication, the NHL will take the PA counter offer, reject it within one hour, and stay silent for another week.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

An hour is too long for one little proposal. I bet they can get it rejected in under 15 minutes.

• johngaltx - Dec 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM

The “little” proposal is reportedly more than 300 pages long.

3. doubles22 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Every great drama needs heroes and villains. We’ve got plenty of the latter, who’s gonna step up and be the former?

• muckthefets23 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Your comment further proves my theory that Donald Fehr is in fact the REAL Darth Sidious.

• doubles22 - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Anyone still following this crap has to be a pretty die-hard fan. Yes, we all want someone’s head on a platter for taking our hockey away from us. But if the NHL keeps saying saying things like, “This is the best offer we can make” – and then proceeds to make concessions in the next several iterations of offers- can we really blame Fehr for pushing the envelope? How about that contract-term “Hill we will die on”? Has that been reduced to a ramp or slight incline with this latest NHL offer?

The NHL’s reluctance to negotiate in good-faith and not “mean what the say and say what they mean” has played right into Fehr’s hands. I didn’t think the PA had much leverage going into this negotiation. Silly me for misunderstimating the stupidity of the NHL.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The only reason I’m allowing myself to feel any optimism is because I just do not care anymore. If they get it done that’s fantastic. If they don’t that would be the furthest thing from surprising and I’ll go back to watching the WJC/Spengler Cup/NFL or go out and do something with my life. Whatever works, doesn’t matter to me.

• habsman - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I’m sure your wife is overjoyed.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I’m flattered you assume I’m old enough to even want to be married, but you’re way off.

5. voltron217 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The fact the players won’t accept this offer further shows the players greediness. Cancel the season already they don’t deserve any money at this point.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Right, how dare they try to negotiate? What do they think this process is, a negotiation?

6. bloominoctober - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I’m fine with the NHLPA making a counteroffer …. just as long as the NHL doesn’t take it as an insult and respond with the “I’m taking my ball and going home” approach to reaching a deal. If they truly want to be back on the ice “as soon as possible,” a TRUE negotiation needs to take place now. This feels like the last chance to me. If this one falls through, the season’s lost (in my opinion).

• chrisvegas - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Agreed. That kind of attitude by the NHL will surely end our chances of having a season. The key is for the players not to go overboard in their counter offer and to accept some of the concessions that the owners want them to make.

7. whatthepuck2012 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I understand the negotiation process, but at some point the offers and counteroffers have to stop with what’s known as an AGREEMENT, right? Help a girl out here.

8. broadstbully33 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Pens suck

• imleftcoast - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Bruins suck.

9. chc4 - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I suspect the NHL would only “take their ball and go home” if Fehr adds in a bunch of crap that hadn’t even been discussed at the table before… that happened before and was a major blunder by the union. If the counteroffer is legit then it’s progress.

• mpg44 - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Which is exactly what is going to happen!!

10. chrisvegas - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Overall I think this is a good thing and it is no surprise that the players are going to counter. I like that the owners moved past the 5 year contract limit. I think personally it should be 7, but to get a season done I think the players should accept a 6 year contract limit. Finally the owners budged off their demands and moved toward the middle, even if it wasn’t that much. Hopefully, it is enough for the players to come to an agreement and offer a few more concessions of their own. We just have to hope that both parties don’t allow any new disagreements to ruin any progress they make in negotiations. Stay amiable and don’t sound off to the media if negotiations hit a speed bump. Continue to work it out and find ways to appease both parties. Let’s get this done!!! I am having serious hockey withdrawals.

11. shotzongoal - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I agree, the League basically bid against itself. It the counter has anything to do with dollars they will stick to their proposal. Maybe will move on the term limit.

• shotzongoal - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

“If” the counter.

12. shotzongoal - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

CBA term limit that is.

13. ewoods6 - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Once they counter, the owners will take their ball and go home like they have done the other 3-4 times only this time their isn’t enough time to play the song and dance!

SIGN IT ALREADY!!!!!

14. hockeyfan28 - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Counting down to the eventual press conference where Donald Fehr expresses shock the NHL didn’t accept
    their counter offer for the 26th time in 3…2…1…..

15. comeonnowguys - Dec 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Looking past the ridiculousness that is Gary Bettman:

In my worthless opinion, this is the moment where Fehr either confirms the disdain I’ve had for him since his “glory days” of baseball, or he shows me that he gets it. He got owners off of that hill they were supposed to “die on.” There’s hope for a season. We can have this as a bad but distant memory by April.

BUT,

If he sees this as weakness by the owners and an opportunity to start piling on demands for the sake of a pre-victory victory lap, a glorified ego-stroke, then I really have nothing left to say to the man that obscenity filters wouldn’t block.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Dec 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM

It’s up to the players executive board now, Fehr is responsible for taking this offer to them and giving his recommendation but if the board decides this is enough for them then they can send it on a vote to the rank and file. Gotta give it Fehr though, he told them last time that they could get more, turns out he was right.

16. joeyashwi - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Players counteroffer- “We agree to all terms as long as Bettman is fired immediately and never steps foot in a hockey arena again.”

That would be great!

17. xjokerz - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Who cares ? Bowling is more popular than hockey

• habsman - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Go watch bowling then.

18. bricktop02 - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM

No comments from Joey?

19. broadstreetbeatdown - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Fehr and that group of dummies known as the NHLPA will find a way to eff this up. Patiently waiting for Chimera’s next stupid comment.

20. sampulls - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I have a business.
    It’s losing money.
    I ask my employees to take a salary rollback.
    They say they have given enough.
    Guess what happens to them next?

• broadstreetbeatdown - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Twinkies anyone???

• manchestermiracle - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Is that after you got concessions from them a few years ago?
      Is your business one where you don’t seem to be able to do simple bookkeeping?
      Did your business expand into markets that aren’t profitable?
      Have you been offering unsustainable contracts to your employees?
      Do you keep your books secret so the employees have to assume you know what you are doing and thus don’t question your overly-generous contract offers made just to secure their employment over a competitor?

The NHL ain’t the real world. In the real world your laid-off employees are accessing your unemployment insurance account while searching for another job. You’re meeting with a bankruptcy attorney and preparing to give him money you don’t really have in order to keep creditors from suing your ass off.

21. mattyo99 - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Garunteed the PA’s counter offer will piss Bettman and the owners off, Fehr gonna try and squeeze more out of the owners, then the ship will sink… The deal looks good to me, but Fehr will cry foul once again…the f-ing players so rich And all they do is complain

22. kitshky - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I know it’s just beating a dead horse .. but this deal could have been made 9 months ago.

23. whatthepuck2012 - Dec 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

They make a deal, I’ll make you all sandwiches.

24. xaf605 - Dec 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Just cancel the season already

25. buffalo65 - Dec 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Be done and approved by next Friday.

26. boondocksaint7 - Dec 29, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Sign it so Flyer fans can start crying about another year with out winning the Cup! Hahaha!

27. fortwaynekomets - Dec 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Report: NHLPA TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO MAKE OWNERS PISSED

28. mattyo99 - Dec 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I’m a flyers fan, and i dont cry about not winning the cup^^^ thats a tough trophy to get, and a hot goalie always gets a team to a championship, and we got Bryzgalov, the D.McNabb of hockey..enough said

29. irokkit - Dec 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

The players should add a deadline to the owners.
    Submit it as an addendum

Owners must agree to all the players demands by Janruary 10th
    Or the players go on strike!!!!

30. desertfan - Dec 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

They never talk about making the game BETTER.

After watching Spengler. AHL and WJC—-move to the International Ice Surface.

Best move in twenty years!!!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches