Aug 23, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
In what’s becoming a game of one-upmanship, the Toronto Maple Leafs added four Hockey Hall of Fame members to its roster for the annual Winter Classic alumni game.
Mats Sundin, Joe Nieuwendyk, Frank Mahovlich and Borje Salming have all committed to wearing the blue and white on Dec. 31, when the Leafs alumni take on the Red Wings alumni at Comerica Park in Detroit.
These additions come on the heels of Detroit naming several HHOF members to its lineup, including Alex Delvecchio, Sergei Fedorov and Igor Larionov.
Sundin is the highest-scoring Swedish player in NHL history and Toronto’s all-time leader in points. He was one of the four inductees for the 2012 Hall class.
Mahovlich won four Stanley Cups with the Leafs between 1962-67 before being inducted into the HHOF in 1981 and the Canadian Senate in 1998.
Salming played 17 seasons in Toronto and is still the highest-scoring defenseman in franchise history. Nicknamed “The King”, Salming is credited for being the one of the first international players to make a major impact on the NHL — he was inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame in 1996 and the IIHF Hall of Fame in 1998.
Nieuwendyk only spent a single season in Toronto — 2003-04, scoring 50 points in 64 games — making his marks mostly with the Flames, Devils and Stars (the three teams he won Stanley Cups with.) Nieuwendyk was inducted to the HHOF in 2011.
/ignores comments about the possibility of there being no Winter Classic
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)