Aug 2, 2012, 3:44 PM EDT
The Red Wings of the mid-to-late 90s were always known for their array of Russian superstar players. If you don’t recall the “Russian Five” of Sergei Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Vyacheslav Fetisov, Slava Kozlov, and Vladimir Konstantinov you missed out some of the most skillful hockey the NHL saw at the time.
The good news for you is that you’ll get to see them one more time. Four out of those five will be participating in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game on December 31. The lone member of the Russian quintet not yet appearing is Kozlov who is still playing professionally in the KHL after leaving the NHL after the 2009-10 season.
Konstantinov, who was paralyzed in a car accident following the Red Wings’ 1997 Stanley Cup championship, is expected to be an ambassador for the game and won’t be playing. As for Fedorov, Larionov, and Fetisov — expect to see them suiting up against the Maple Leafs alumni.
With Scotty Bowman set to coach the Red Wings alumni, maybe we’ll get to relive the old days and see Bowman have Fedorov play defense as well as forward all over again.
If you didn’t get to experience what the “Russian Five” was like during their time in Motor City, the Red Wings put this video together to remind everyone how great they were.
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 52
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)