Aug 2, 2012, 3:44 PM EDT
The Red Wings of the mid-to-late 90s were always known for their array of Russian superstar players. If you don’t recall the “Russian Five” of Sergei Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Vyacheslav Fetisov, Slava Kozlov, and Vladimir Konstantinov you missed out some of the most skillful hockey the NHL saw at the time.
The good news for you is that you’ll get to see them one more time. Four out of those five will be participating in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game on December 31. The lone member of the Russian quintet not yet appearing is Kozlov who is still playing professionally in the KHL after leaving the NHL after the 2009-10 season.
Konstantinov, who was paralyzed in a car accident following the Red Wings’ 1997 Stanley Cup championship, is expected to be an ambassador for the game and won’t be playing. As for Fedorov, Larionov, and Fetisov — expect to see them suiting up against the Maple Leafs alumni.
With Scotty Bowman set to coach the Red Wings alumni, maybe we’ll get to relive the old days and see Bowman have Fedorov play defense as well as forward all over again.
If you didn’t get to experience what the “Russian Five” was like during their time in Motor City, the Red Wings put this video together to remind everyone how great they were.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)