Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 AM EST
With the star-studded lineups already (mostly) announced for the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game, the Red Wings and Leafs have stepped up and added legendary coaching staffs to the mix.
According to the Detroit Free Press, former Wings coaches Scotty Bowman and Barry Smith will lead the charge on Dec. 31, going up against ex-Toronto bosses Pat Quinn and Red Kelly.
There’ll be no shortage of hockey expertise behind both benches. Bowman’s the winningest coach in NHL history and won three Stanley Cups with the Wings from 1997-2002. During that time, Smith was Bowman’s assistant coach and right-hand man — he’s now Chicago’s Director of Player Development.
Hockey Hall of Famer Kelly won four Stanley Cups with Toronto and Detroit and was the first-ever winner of the Norris Trophy. He coached the Leafs for four seasons in the mid-70s, making the playoffs every year while winning 133 games.
Quinn is the NHL’s fourth winningest coach of all time and led Team Canada to back-to-back world titles with a gold medal in the 2002 Olympics and a 2004 World Cup of Hockey victory.
Just to keep up, here’s the latest (unofficial) rosters for the alumni game:
Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Luc Robitaille, Dino Ciccarelli, Chris Chelios, Larry Murphy Mark Howe, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Joe Kocur, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Ted Lindsay, Alex Delvecchio
Darryl Sittler, Rick Vaive, Darcy Tucker, Felix Potvin, Mike Palmateer, Kevin Maguire, Dave Andreychuk, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Curtis Joseph, Johnny Bower, Ron Ellis, Jim McKenny (Tie Domi and Mats Sundin are reportedly in as well.)
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2