Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
With the star-studded lineups already (mostly) announced for the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game, the Red Wings and Leafs have stepped up and added legendary coaching staffs to the mix.
According to the Detroit Free Press, former Wings coaches Scotty Bowman and Barry Smith will lead the charge on Dec. 31, going up against ex-Toronto bosses Pat Quinn and Red Kelly.
There’ll be no shortage of hockey expertise behind both benches. Bowman’s the winningest coach in NHL history and won three Stanley Cups with the Wings from 1997-2002. During that time, Smith was Bowman’s assistant coach and right-hand man — he’s now Chicago’s Director of Player Development.
Hockey Hall of Famer Kelly won four Stanley Cups with Toronto and Detroit and was the first-ever winner of the Norris Trophy. He coached the Leafs for four seasons in the mid-70s, making the playoffs every year while winning 133 games.
Quinn is the NHL’s fourth winningest coach of all time and led Team Canada to back-to-back world titles with a gold medal in the 2002 Olympics and a 2004 World Cup of Hockey victory.
Just to keep up, here’s the latest (unofficial) rosters for the alumni game:
Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Luc Robitaille, Dino Ciccarelli, Chris Chelios, Larry Murphy Mark Howe, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Joe Kocur, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Ted Lindsay, Alex Delvecchio
Darryl Sittler, Rick Vaive, Darcy Tucker, Felix Potvin, Mike Palmateer, Kevin Maguire, Dave Andreychuk, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Curtis Joseph, Johnny Bower, Ron Ellis, Jim McKenny (Tie Domi and Mats Sundin are reportedly in as well.)
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw