Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
With the star-studded lineups already (mostly) announced for the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game, the Red Wings and Leafs have stepped up and added legendary coaching staffs to the mix.
According to the Detroit Free Press, former Wings coaches Scotty Bowman and Barry Smith will lead the charge on Dec. 31, going up against ex-Toronto bosses Pat Quinn and Red Kelly.
There’ll be no shortage of hockey expertise behind both benches. Bowman’s the winningest coach in NHL history and won three Stanley Cups with the Wings from 1997-2002. During that time, Smith was Bowman’s assistant coach and right-hand man — he’s now Chicago’s Director of Player Development.
Hockey Hall of Famer Kelly won four Stanley Cups with Toronto and Detroit and was the first-ever winner of the Norris Trophy. He coached the Leafs for four seasons in the mid-70s, making the playoffs every year while winning 133 games.
Quinn is the NHL’s fourth winningest coach of all time and led Team Canada to back-to-back world titles with a gold medal in the 2002 Olympics and a 2004 World Cup of Hockey victory.
Just to keep up, here’s the latest (unofficial) rosters for the alumni game:
Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Luc Robitaille, Dino Ciccarelli, Chris Chelios, Larry Murphy Mark Howe, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Joe Kocur, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Ted Lindsay, Alex Delvecchio
Darryl Sittler, Rick Vaive, Darcy Tucker, Felix Potvin, Mike Palmateer, Kevin Maguire, Dave Andreychuk, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Curtis Joseph, Johnny Bower, Ron Ellis, Jim McKenny (Tie Domi and Mats Sundin are reportedly in as well.)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)