Jul 19, 2012, 3:56 PM EST
Two of the most recognizable Toronto Maple Leafs from the 90s and 2K era are set to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, former Leaf Tie Domi told TSN Radio 1050 he and Mats Sundin would likely be playing for Toronto when it faces Detroit at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
According to TSN, outgoing Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment chairman Larry Tanenbaum asked both of them to take part in the game.
Sundin spent 13 seasons with the Maple Leafs, 11 as captain, and holds team records for most 20-goal seasons (13), most 30-goal seasons (10), most game-winning goals (79) and most regular-season overtime goals (14).
Domi played the final 11 years of his career in Toronto, emerging as a fan favorite for his rough-and-tumble style of play. He still sits fourth all-time in NHL penalty minutes with just over 3,500, despite retiring seven seasons ago.
Sundin and Domi will join those already set to participate in the alumni game — the preliminary rosters were set on July 11:
Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Kevin Maguire, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive. (Jim McKenny, Ron Ellis and Johnny Bower will participate as well.)
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, Joe Kocur, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)