Jul 19, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
Two of the most recognizable Toronto Maple Leafs from the 90s and 2K era are set to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, former Leaf Tie Domi told TSN Radio 1050 he and Mats Sundin would likely be playing for Toronto when it faces Detroit at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
According to TSN, outgoing Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment chairman Larry Tanenbaum asked both of them to take part in the game.
Sundin spent 13 seasons with the Maple Leafs, 11 as captain, and holds team records for most 20-goal seasons (13), most 30-goal seasons (10), most game-winning goals (79) and most regular-season overtime goals (14).
Domi played the final 11 years of his career in Toronto, emerging as a fan favorite for his rough-and-tumble style of play. He still sits fourth all-time in NHL penalty minutes with just over 3,500, despite retiring seven seasons ago.
Sundin and Domi will join those already set to participate in the alumni game — the preliminary rosters were set on July 11:
Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Kevin Maguire, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive. (Jim McKenny, Ron Ellis and Johnny Bower will participate as well.)
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, Joe Kocur, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)