Jul 19, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
Two of the most recognizable Toronto Maple Leafs from the 90s and 2K era are set to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, former Leaf Tie Domi told TSN Radio 1050 he and Mats Sundin would likely be playing for Toronto when it faces Detroit at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
According to TSN, outgoing Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment chairman Larry Tanenbaum asked both of them to take part in the game.
Sundin spent 13 seasons with the Maple Leafs, 11 as captain, and holds team records for most 20-goal seasons (13), most 30-goal seasons (10), most game-winning goals (79) and most regular-season overtime goals (14).
Domi played the final 11 years of his career in Toronto, emerging as a fan favorite for his rough-and-tumble style of play. He still sits fourth all-time in NHL penalty minutes with just over 3,500, despite retiring seven seasons ago.
Sundin and Domi will join those already set to participate in the alumni game — the preliminary rosters were set on July 11:
Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin, Curtis Joseph, Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Wendel Clark, Dave Andreychuk, Kevin Maguire, Darcy Tucker, Rick Vaive. (Jim McKenny, Ron Ellis and Johnny Bower will participate as well.)
Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, Joe Kocur, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)