Aug 16, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
The most penalized player in NHL history will be suiting up at the Winter Classic.
That was the news out of Toronto today as the Maple Leafs announced Dave “Tiger” Williams — the NHL’s all-time leader with 3966 PIM — will play for their alumni team as part of the 2013 Winter Classic festivities.
The alumni game is set to take place on Dec. 31 at Detroit’s Comerica Park.
In addition to Williams, Toronto added two other notorious tough guys to its lineup in Tie Domi (who’d previously hinted at playing) and Brad May. Between the three of them, Domi, May and Williams accumulated nearly 10,000 penalty minutes during their careers, appearing in just over 3000 combined regular season games.
Williams spent the first six seasons of his career in Toronto (1974-80) which included a 30-goal, 53-point campaign in 1979-80. Domi spent his final 10 seasons wearing the Blue and White — scoring a career-high 15 goals in 2002-03 — while May played for the Leafs during the 2008-09 season.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights