Aug 16, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
The most penalized player in NHL history will be suiting up at the Winter Classic.
That was the news out of Toronto today as the Maple Leafs announced Dave “Tiger” Williams — the NHL’s all-time leader with 3966 PIM — will play for their alumni team as part of the 2013 Winter Classic festivities.
The alumni game is set to take place on Dec. 31 at Detroit’s Comerica Park.
In addition to Williams, Toronto added two other notorious tough guys to its lineup in Tie Domi (who’d previously hinted at playing) and Brad May. Between the three of them, Domi, May and Williams accumulated nearly 10,000 penalty minutes during their careers, appearing in just over 3000 combined regular season games.
Williams spent the first six seasons of his career in Toronto (1974-80) which included a 30-goal, 53-point campaign in 1979-80. Domi spent his final 10 seasons wearing the Blue and White — scoring a career-high 15 goals in 2002-03 — while May played for the Leafs during the 2008-09 season.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 45
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 74
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63