Aug 9, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Not to be outdone by Detroit bringing Paul Coffey on board, the Toronto Maple Leafs have added their own Hockey Hall of Famer for the Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, Toronto announced franchise favorite and HHOF memeber Lanny McDonald will wear the blue-and-white when the Leafs and Wings do battle at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
The club also announced former alternate captains Bryan McCabe and Gary Roberts would suit up for the alumni team as well.
McDonald made his NHL debut with the Leafs in 1973 and went on to play seven seasons before moving on to Colorado, then Calgary.
His crowning moment in Toronto might’ve come not wearing a Leafs jersey, but rather a Team Canada one. McDonald assisted on Darryl Sittler’s Canada Cup-winning goal in 1976, a huge accomplishment considering McDonald wasn’t sure he’d even make the team after training camp.
Oh, in case you’ve never seen this before, here’s Lanny hawking fur coats back in ’83:
That look on his face at the end is the best.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)