Aug 9, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Not to be outdone by Detroit bringing Paul Coffey on board, the Toronto Maple Leafs have added their own Hockey Hall of Famer for the Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, Toronto announced franchise favorite and HHOF memeber Lanny McDonald will wear the blue-and-white when the Leafs and Wings do battle at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
The club also announced former alternate captains Bryan McCabe and Gary Roberts would suit up for the alumni team as well.
McDonald made his NHL debut with the Leafs in 1973 and went on to play seven seasons before moving on to Colorado, then Calgary.
His crowning moment in Toronto might’ve come not wearing a Leafs jersey, but rather a Team Canada one. McDonald assisted on Darryl Sittler’s Canada Cup-winning goal in 1976, a huge accomplishment considering McDonald wasn’t sure he’d even make the team after training camp.
Oh, in case you’ve never seen this before, here’s Lanny hawking fur coats back in ’83:
That look on his face at the end is the best.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 26
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 57
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte