Aug 9, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Not to be outdone by Detroit bringing Paul Coffey on board, the Toronto Maple Leafs have added their own Hockey Hall of Famer for the Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, Toronto announced franchise favorite and HHOF memeber Lanny McDonald will wear the blue-and-white when the Leafs and Wings do battle at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
The club also announced former alternate captains Bryan McCabe and Gary Roberts would suit up for the alumni team as well.
McDonald made his NHL debut with the Leafs in 1973 and went on to play seven seasons before moving on to Colorado, then Calgary.
His crowning moment in Toronto might’ve come not wearing a Leafs jersey, but rather a Team Canada one. McDonald assisted on Darryl Sittler’s Canada Cup-winning goal in 1976, a huge accomplishment considering McDonald wasn’t sure he’d even make the team after training camp.
Oh, in case you’ve never seen this before, here’s Lanny hawking fur coats back in ’83:
That look on his face at the end is the best.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)