Aug 9, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Not to be outdone by Detroit bringing Paul Coffey on board, the Toronto Maple Leafs have added their own Hockey Hall of Famer for the Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, Toronto announced franchise favorite and HHOF memeber Lanny McDonald will wear the blue-and-white when the Leafs and Wings do battle at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
The club also announced former alternate captains Bryan McCabe and Gary Roberts would suit up for the alumni team as well.
McDonald made his NHL debut with the Leafs in 1973 and went on to play seven seasons before moving on to Colorado, then Calgary.
His crowning moment in Toronto might’ve come not wearing a Leafs jersey, but rather a Team Canada one. McDonald assisted on Darryl Sittler’s Canada Cup-winning goal in 1976, a huge accomplishment considering McDonald wasn’t sure he’d even make the team after training camp.
Oh, in case you’ve never seen this before, here’s Lanny hawking fur coats back in ’83:
That look on his face at the end is the best.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)