Aug 9, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Not to be outdone by Detroit bringing Paul Coffey on board, the Toronto Maple Leafs have added their own Hockey Hall of Famer for the Winter Classic alumni game.
On Thursday, Toronto announced franchise favorite and HHOF memeber Lanny McDonald will wear the blue-and-white when the Leafs and Wings do battle at Comerica Park on Dec. 31.
The club also announced former alternate captains Bryan McCabe and Gary Roberts would suit up for the alumni team as well.
McDonald made his NHL debut with the Leafs in 1973 and went on to play seven seasons before moving on to Colorado, then Calgary.
His crowning moment in Toronto might’ve come not wearing a Leafs jersey, but rather a Team Canada one. McDonald assisted on Darryl Sittler’s Canada Cup-winning goal in 1976, a huge accomplishment considering McDonald wasn’t sure he’d even make the team after training camp.
Oh, in case you’ve never seen this before, here’s Lanny hawking fur coats back in ’83:
That look on his face at the end is the best.
- Weber’s shot leaves Sens’ Ceci, Anderson reeling 3
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 17
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)