Aug 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Free agency often carries its fair share of surprises, but even so, many eyebrows were raised when the Winnipeg Jets handed Ondrej Pavelec a five-year, $19.5 million contract.
To some, this is a bewildering gamble even if you ignore his troubling off-the-ice incident.
Many NHL goalies will see some considerable differences between the numbers they put up in wins vs. loses, but “good Pavelec” vs. “bad Pavelec” is a sight to behold.
Pavelec in wins last season: 30 games, .942 save percentage, 1.77 GAA and four shutouts.
Pavelec in losses last season: 38 games, .878 save percentage, 3.84 GAA and zero shutouts.
Overall, Pavelec was average (at best) in 2011-12, sporting a 29-28-9 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.99 GAA.
Those numbers are right around his career averages, with only one season (2010-11) where one might argue that he put up solid stats.
Usually when an NHL team makes a big investment in a No. 1 goalie, they do so crossing their fingers that the guy will maintain his level of play.
In this case, the Jets are hoping that he gets a lot better. He’s young enough, but like Pavelec during one of his highlight reel saves, Winnipeg is making a big leap of faith.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 14
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)