Aug 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Free agency often carries its fair share of surprises, but even so, many eyebrows were raised when the Winnipeg Jets handed Ondrej Pavelec a five-year, $19.5 million contract.
To some, this is a bewildering gamble even if you ignore his troubling off-the-ice incident.
Many NHL goalies will see some considerable differences between the numbers they put up in wins vs. loses, but “good Pavelec” vs. “bad Pavelec” is a sight to behold.
Pavelec in wins last season: 30 games, .942 save percentage, 1.77 GAA and four shutouts.
Pavelec in losses last season: 38 games, .878 save percentage, 3.84 GAA and zero shutouts.
Overall, Pavelec was average (at best) in 2011-12, sporting a 29-28-9 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.99 GAA.
Those numbers are right around his career averages, with only one season (2010-11) where one might argue that he put up solid stats.
Usually when an NHL team makes a big investment in a No. 1 goalie, they do so crossing their fingers that the guy will maintain his level of play.
In this case, the Jets are hoping that he gets a lot better. He’s young enough, but like Pavelec during one of his highlight reel saves, Winnipeg is making a big leap of faith.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 4
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 5
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 30
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 52
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 82
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut