Aug 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Free agency often carries its fair share of surprises, but even so, many eyebrows were raised when the Winnipeg Jets handed Ondrej Pavelec a five-year, $19.5 million contract.
To some, this is a bewildering gamble even if you ignore his troubling off-the-ice incident.
Many NHL goalies will see some considerable differences between the numbers they put up in wins vs. loses, but “good Pavelec” vs. “bad Pavelec” is a sight to behold.
Pavelec in wins last season: 30 games, .942 save percentage, 1.77 GAA and four shutouts.
Pavelec in losses last season: 38 games, .878 save percentage, 3.84 GAA and zero shutouts.
Overall, Pavelec was average (at best) in 2011-12, sporting a 29-28-9 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.99 GAA.
Those numbers are right around his career averages, with only one season (2010-11) where one might argue that he put up solid stats.
Usually when an NHL team makes a big investment in a No. 1 goalie, they do so crossing their fingers that the guy will maintain his level of play.
In this case, the Jets are hoping that he gets a lot better. He’s young enough, but like Pavelec during one of his highlight reel saves, Winnipeg is making a big leap of faith.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)