Ondrej Pavelec, Jets release statements about DUI

Jul 17, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT

Winnipeg Jets v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Earlier this week, reports revealed that Winnipeg Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec was involved in a DUI incident. The Winnipeg Free Press passes along statements from both the Jets and the netminder, starting with Pavelec’s apology to fans and the team.

“On May 26, 2012, I was involved in a traffic accident in the Czech Republic. There were no injuries. Police arrived at the scene and I agreed to a blood alcohol test. On June 12, my attorney appeared in court on my behalf and submitted a plea of guilty at the first proceeding. The court issued a six month suspended sentence and suspended my driver’s license for 20 months in the Czech Republic. The case will be dismissed in 12 months provided I have no alcohol related violations during this time. I’m disappointed in myself for this error in judgment. I’m thankful no one was injured as a result of my actions. I want to sincerely apologize to our fans, the Winnipeg Jets organization, and to my teammates for any embarrassment this has caused. I’m truly sorry for letting you all down.”

Ed Tait notes that the Jets’ statement implies that they weren’t aware of the May 26 arrest when they signed him to a five-year, $19.5 million contract extension:

“The Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club would like to state we have now confirmed the details surrounding Ondrej Pavelec while driving under the influence in Kladno, Czech Republic on May 26, 2012. The organization was deeply disappointed to learn of this information yesterday and is fully aware of the seriousness of this matter. We will determine our course of action once we have the chance to meet and discuss with Ondrej in person, which we expect to do at the earliest possible opportunity.”

Again, the key phrase is “the organization was deeply disappointed to learn of this information yesterday.”

1. jacketsfan7 - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Again , save the DUI for Vancouver

2. jacketsfan7 - Jul 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Lol but I do like Pavlec and his apology

3. meynbass - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM

He “manned up.”. Enough said

4. ludacrish05 - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

DUI’s are so common, but athletes have enough money to take cabs, not me

• juzzi7 - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM

[Insert Patrick Kane joke]

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

he walks everywhere so he’s safe

5. capsrockva - Jul 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

The only comment I would have is why weren’t the Jets aware of this. Did the scouts GM and anyone in the organization not have access to the internet???????????? or did they simply turned a blinded eye to it

6. fortwaynekomets - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM

this is unacceptable for a minor league player, let alone a NHL goalie. I’m not sure who’s in net this year for Jets but I hope he comes back strong.

7. pdmjr - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I think his contract gets torn up and he will be traded to a non Canadian team. You can’t enter Canada with a DWI which is a felony.

• kopy - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM

That would make it hard to play in the NHL in general. You can enter Canada with a DUI. It just requires a lot of paperwork and possibly help from a lawyer, and the Jets will help him with all of it, I’m sure. Only if you string together multiple DUIs are you really in danger of being fully restricted from Canada. I mean, Dustin Byfuglien plays in Canada, right?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches