Jun 25, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The $3.9 million cap hit represents a large raise over the $1.15 million Pavelec was making, though it’s not surprising Winnipeg made such a big splash.
In June, reports surfaced that a KHL club made Pavelec a “big money” offer for one year (believed to be connecting with any potential NHL work stoppage.)
Pavelec, who is Czech, was said to be considering the offer.
That scuttlebutt appears to be a thing of the past, though, as the 24-year-old will be with Winnipeg for the foreseeable future. A huge move for the Jets, as Pavelec was arguably their MVP a year ago despite rather pedestrian numbers (29-28-9, 2.91 GAA, .906 save percentage.) He was one of the league’s busiest netminders, finishing fifth in shots faced, and was huge down the stretch as the Jets made an improbable playoff push.
The Pavelec deal will likely reverberate through the league. He’s the first of of a young crop of RFA goalies to secure a deal this summer, setting the stage for the likes of Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Cory Schneider.
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 2
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 28
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)