Jun 25, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The $3.9 million cap hit represents a large raise over the $1.15 million Pavelec was making, though it’s not surprising Winnipeg made such a big splash.
In June, reports surfaced that a KHL club made Pavelec a “big money” offer for one year (believed to be connecting with any potential NHL work stoppage.)
Pavelec, who is Czech, was said to be considering the offer.
That scuttlebutt appears to be a thing of the past, though, as the 24-year-old will be with Winnipeg for the foreseeable future. A huge move for the Jets, as Pavelec was arguably their MVP a year ago despite rather pedestrian numbers (29-28-9, 2.91 GAA, .906 save percentage.) He was one of the league’s busiest netminders, finishing fifth in shots faced, and was huge down the stretch as the Jets made an improbable playoff push.
The Pavelec deal will likely reverberate through the league. He’s the first of of a young crop of RFA goalies to secure a deal this summer, setting the stage for the likes of Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Cory Schneider.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)