Jun 25, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
The $3.9 million cap hit represents a large raise over the $1.15 million Pavelec was making, though it’s not surprising Winnipeg made such a big splash.
In June, reports surfaced that a KHL club made Pavelec a “big money” offer for one year (believed to be connecting with any potential NHL work stoppage.)
Pavelec, who is Czech, was said to be considering the offer.
That scuttlebutt appears to be a thing of the past, though, as the 24-year-old will be with Winnipeg for the foreseeable future. A huge move for the Jets, as Pavelec was arguably their MVP a year ago despite rather pedestrian numbers (29-28-9, 2.91 GAA, .906 save percentage.) He was one of the league’s busiest netminders, finishing fifth in shots faced, and was huge down the stretch as the Jets made an improbable playoff push.
The Pavelec deal will likely reverberate through the league. He’s the first of of a young crop of RFA goalies to secure a deal this summer, setting the stage for the likes of Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Cory Schneider.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)