Jun 25, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
The $3.9 million cap hit represents a large raise over the $1.15 million Pavelec was making, though it’s not surprising Winnipeg made such a big splash.
In June, reports surfaced that a KHL club made Pavelec a “big money” offer for one year (believed to be connecting with any potential NHL work stoppage.)
Pavelec, who is Czech, was said to be considering the offer.
That scuttlebutt appears to be a thing of the past, though, as the 24-year-old will be with Winnipeg for the foreseeable future. A huge move for the Jets, as Pavelec was arguably their MVP a year ago despite rather pedestrian numbers (29-28-9, 2.91 GAA, .906 save percentage.) He was one of the league’s busiest netminders, finishing fifth in shots faced, and was huge down the stretch as the Jets made an improbable playoff push.
The Pavelec deal will likely reverberate through the league. He’s the first of of a young crop of RFA goalies to secure a deal this summer, setting the stage for the likes of Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Cory Schneider.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)