Aug 5, 2012, 4:48 PM EST
Every now and then, Semyon Varlamov showed why the Colorado Avalanche made such an expensive deal to acquire him.
Sure, the Russian netminder stumbled badly after a hot start, playing three mediocre months of hockey.
Yet the Varlamov people saw after the All-Star break reveals hints of something special.
Varly put up substandard numbers in the 30 games before that break, but he went 12-9-2 with an outstanding .932 save percentage and a 2.06 GAA in the 23 games afterward.
In a way, those numbers paint a picture of his career so far.
He’s been an up-and-down goalie since he stormed into the general hockey consciousness with some strong work in the 2009 playoffs.
His 53 games played in 2011-12 matches his combined regular season appearances from the previous two seasons with the Washington Capitals.
At 24, he’s just now entering his prime years, so there’s added reason for optimism.
Ultimately, if Varlamov wants to justify the heavy price Colorado paid for his rights in the 2011 offseason, he’ll need to be healthier and more consistent.
Despite having a strong backup in Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the Avalanche’s goaltending – and team, really – will go as far as Varlamov can take them.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 17
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)