Aug 5, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT
Every now and then, Semyon Varlamov showed why the Colorado Avalanche made such an expensive deal to acquire him.
Sure, the Russian netminder stumbled badly after a hot start, playing three mediocre months of hockey.
Yet the Varlamov people saw after the All-Star break reveals hints of something special.
Varly put up substandard numbers in the 30 games before that break, but he went 12-9-2 with an outstanding .932 save percentage and a 2.06 GAA in the 23 games afterward.
In a way, those numbers paint a picture of his career so far.
He’s been an up-and-down goalie since he stormed into the general hockey consciousness with some strong work in the 2009 playoffs.
His 53 games played in 2011-12 matches his combined regular season appearances from the previous two seasons with the Washington Capitals.
At 24, he’s just now entering his prime years, so there’s added reason for optimism.
Ultimately, if Varlamov wants to justify the heavy price Colorado paid for his rights in the 2011 offseason, he’ll need to be healthier and more consistent.
Despite having a strong backup in Jean-Sebastien Giguere, the Avalanche’s goaltending – and team, really – will go as far as Varlamov can take them.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)