Aug 5, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
41-35-6, 88 points; 11th in the Western Conference and third in Northwest Division.
No first-round pick.
The Colorado Avalanche experienced an uneven 2011-12 season, but some in the organization may feel encouraged by the team’s late charge in March. Trade acquisitions Steve Downie and Jamie McGinn made enough of an impact to inspire some added optimism as well.
Gabriel Landeskog‘s Calder Trophy season ranked among the team’s biggest highlights last season.
The Avalanche boast a young roster that could see quite a bit of improvement from within if the right buttons are pushed. Varlamov, Landeskog, Johnson, Stastny and especially Duchene could conceivably take another step forward next season.
Parenteau represents the biggest addition while the franchise gambled a bit by allowing injury-prone winger Mueller leave for nothing. One might also look at last season’s late arrivals Downie and McGinn as “new” players too, though.
Head coach Joe Sacco enters an important season. A third consecutive failed playoff run might bring his work in Colorado to an end.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think about the Avs’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)