Aug 5, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
41-35-6, 88 points; 11th in the Western Conference and third in Northwest Division.
No first-round pick.
The Colorado Avalanche experienced an uneven 2011-12 season, but some in the organization may feel encouraged by the team’s late charge in March. Trade acquisitions Steve Downie and Jamie McGinn made enough of an impact to inspire some added optimism as well.
Gabriel Landeskog‘s Calder Trophy season ranked among the team’s biggest highlights last season.
The Avalanche boast a young roster that could see quite a bit of improvement from within if the right buttons are pushed. Varlamov, Landeskog, Johnson, Stastny and especially Duchene could conceivably take another step forward next season.
Parenteau represents the biggest addition while the franchise gambled a bit by allowing injury-prone winger Mueller leave for nothing. One might also look at last season’s late arrivals Downie and McGinn as “new” players too, though.
Head coach Joe Sacco enters an important season. A third consecutive failed playoff run might bring his work in Colorado to an end.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think about the Avs’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)