Aug 5, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
After fighting through the minors and accepting one-year contracts during his NHL seasons, the Colorado Avalanche rewarded P.A. Parenteau with a four-year, $16 million deal this summer.
The 29-year-old forward represents the splashiest move the Avs made during the offseason, but what can they expect from winger?
Two full seasons with the New York Islanders isn’t a big sample size, yet he’s put up commendable numbers so far – including 67 points last season.
Having a playmaker such as Parenteau skating alongside Duchene could be a real boon for the struggling should-be star.
After showing outstanding promise in his first two seasons, Duchene fought injuries and uneven play to settle for 28 points in 58 games in 2011-12.
One of free agency’s biggest risks is that players often fail to translate previous successes to a new environment.
Some might argue that a lapse in effort is less likely for Parenteau because he fought so hard merely to be a regular NHL player, though.
Either way, many will view Colorado’s offseason success based on Parenteau’s production.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)