Aug 5, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
After fighting through the minors and accepting one-year contracts during his NHL seasons, the Colorado Avalanche rewarded P.A. Parenteau with a four-year, $16 million deal this summer.
The 29-year-old forward represents the splashiest move the Avs made during the offseason, but what can they expect from winger?
Two full seasons with the New York Islanders isn’t a big sample size, yet he’s put up commendable numbers so far – including 67 points last season.
Having a playmaker such as Parenteau skating alongside Duchene could be a real boon for the struggling should-be star.
After showing outstanding promise in his first two seasons, Duchene fought injuries and uneven play to settle for 28 points in 58 games in 2011-12.
One of free agency’s biggest risks is that players often fail to translate previous successes to a new environment.
Some might argue that a lapse in effort is less likely for Parenteau because he fought so hard merely to be a regular NHL player, though.
Either way, many will view Colorado’s offseason success based on Parenteau’s production.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 28
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)