Aug 6, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
37-35-10, 84 points. 11th in Eastern Conference, fourth in Southeast Division.
9th overall – Jacob Trouba (D – U.S. NTDP – USHL)
To some, the 2011-12 season was one long victory lap for Winnipeg; the former Atlanta Thrashers’ on-ice exploits were just gravy.
Those who wanted some substance to go along with the new team sizzle received a mix bag of results, though. The NHL’s schedule makers eased Winnipeg into the Southeast Division as well as one could hope, but the Jets mostly rose and fell based on home stands vs. road trips.
If that’s too cold an explanation, one might instead gravitate toward a still-young, low-budget team that continues to go through a maturation process.
The Jets spent big on one of their most important free agent decisions by handing hot-and-cold goalie Ondrej Pavelec a hefty new deal. They still need to re-sign restricted free agent/face of the franchise Evander Kane, however.
Much like last summer, the Jets are determined to improve from within – for the most part.
They did add two value players who have been polarizing during their careers. Olli Jokinen is the headliner (and potential No. 1 scorer after doing so in Calgary) while Alexei Ponikarovsky’s a solid bargain at $1.8 million.
Most of the team’s alterations came at depth positions, although they made an intriguing move by replacing veteran backup Chris Mason with younger goalie Al Montoya.
Overall, Winnipeg seems primed to settle for steady progression, but you never know when young players might make a leap.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Jets’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)