Aug 6, 2012, 1:37 PM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
37-35-10, 84 points. 11th in Eastern Conference, fourth in Southeast Division.
9th overall – Jacob Trouba (D – U.S. NTDP – USHL)
To some, the 2011-12 season was one long victory lap for Winnipeg; the former Atlanta Thrashers’ on-ice exploits were just gravy.
Those who wanted some substance to go along with the new team sizzle received a mix bag of results, though. The NHL’s schedule makers eased Winnipeg into the Southeast Division as well as one could hope, but the Jets mostly rose and fell based on home stands vs. road trips.
If that’s too cold an explanation, one might instead gravitate toward a still-young, low-budget team that continues to go through a maturation process.
The Jets spent big on one of their most important free agent decisions by handing hot-and-cold goalie Ondrej Pavelec a hefty new deal. They still need to re-sign restricted free agent/face of the franchise Evander Kane, however.
Much like last summer, the Jets are determined to improve from within – for the most part.
They did add two value players who have been polarizing during their careers. Olli Jokinen is the headliner (and potential No. 1 scorer after doing so in Calgary) while Alexei Ponikarovsky’s a solid bargain at $1.8 million.
Most of the team’s alterations came at depth positions, although they made an intriguing move by replacing veteran backup Chris Mason with younger goalie Al Montoya.
Overall, Winnipeg seems primed to settle for steady progression, but you never know when young players might make a leap.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Jets’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)