Feb 27, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
The Tampa Bay-Detroit pipeline is alive and well.
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman, after saying earlier that he felt the team was done dealing, acquired defenseman Mike Commodore from the Detroit Red Wings. The price? A conditional seventh-round draft pick according to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.
Commodore has been used sparingly in Detroit this season and after the team acquired Kyle Quincey from the Lightning last week, it meant that someone was going to be leaving town between Jakub Kindl or Commodore.
There was a thought that the Red Wings might hold tight after seeing Jonathan Ericsson go out for a month with a wrist injury, but with guys like Brendan Smith waiting in the AHL for a shot, giving Commodore a shot to actually play in Tampa makes for a better move for him. In Tampa, Commodore will get the shot to play as they’re always looking for healthy defensemen, more so now that Mattias Ohlund‘s career is in doubt after having knee surgery.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 4
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 10
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)