Feb 27, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
The Tampa Bay-Detroit pipeline is alive and well.
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman, after saying earlier that he felt the team was done dealing, acquired defenseman Mike Commodore from the Detroit Red Wings. The price? A conditional seventh-round draft pick according to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.
Commodore has been used sparingly in Detroit this season and after the team acquired Kyle Quincey from the Lightning last week, it meant that someone was going to be leaving town between Jakub Kindl or Commodore.
There was a thought that the Red Wings might hold tight after seeing Jonathan Ericsson go out for a month with a wrist injury, but with guys like Brendan Smith waiting in the AHL for a shot, giving Commodore a shot to actually play in Tampa makes for a better move for him. In Tampa, Commodore will get the shot to play as they’re always looking for healthy defensemen, more so now that Mattias Ohlund‘s career is in doubt after having knee surgery.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 5
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)