Feb 20, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were holding out hope that maybe Mattias Ohlund would be back at some point this season to help on defense. Those hopes can all stop now as Ohlund is set to be out for a lengthy amount of time.
Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Ohlund will be going in for major knee surgery on his left knee to alleviate the problems that have kept him off the ice all season. As Ohlund tells Cristodero, there’s no guarantee he’ll be able to continue his career after his operation.
“I don’t know if I want to put it in those terms,” he said. “But this is a major procedure. Everybody seems quite optimistic I’m going to get better.”
At 35-years-old Ohlund’s battle to get back on the ice is going to be a tough one. Ohlund says his recovery time will take months, not weeks, to be able to try and get back on the ice. Considering how his knees have been such a problem this season, there’s nowhere to go but up from here.
With Ohlund not ready to hang it up, his fight will be hard to get back into playing shape and to suit up again for the Lightning.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)