Feb 20, 2012, 9:33 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning were holding out hope that maybe Mattias Ohlund would be back at some point this season to help on defense. Those hopes can all stop now as Ohlund is set to be out for a lengthy amount of time.
Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Ohlund will be going in for major knee surgery on his left knee to alleviate the problems that have kept him off the ice all season. As Ohlund tells Cristodero, there’s no guarantee he’ll be able to continue his career after his operation.
“I don’t know if I want to put it in those terms,” he said. “But this is a major procedure. Everybody seems quite optimistic I’m going to get better.”
At 35-years-old Ohlund’s battle to get back on the ice is going to be a tough one. Ohlund says his recovery time will take months, not weeks, to be able to try and get back on the ice. Considering how his knees have been such a problem this season, there’s nowhere to go but up from here.
With Ohlund not ready to hang it up, his fight will be hard to get back into playing shape and to suit up again for the Lightning.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)