Feb 21, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Steve Yzerman is emerging as the star of this year’s trade deadline.
The Tampa Bay GM has pulled off his third and fourth trades over the last five days by sending forward Steve Downie to Colorado in exchange for defenseman Kyle Quincey, then trading Quincey to Detroit in exchange for the Red Wings’ first-round pick in 2012 and defenseman Sebastien Piche.
Tampa now has two first-round and three second-round picks (possibly four) at the 2012 draft.
As for the remaining details…
— Quincey, 26, was arguably Colorado’s top blueliner this season. He was tied for the team lead in defenseman scoring (23 points, with Erik Johnson) but led in goals (five), power play goals (three) and time on ice per game (22:21).
It’s not surprising Detroit wanted Quincey after losing him on waivers in 2008:
The Wings placed Quincey on waivers because they needed some salary cap space in case they needed to recall a goaltender from Grand Rapids in the event of a short-term injury or illness to one of their goalies.
Wings general manager Ken Holland said he talked to about five or six teams that were interested in Quincey and at one point were close to a deal that fell through. Teams were reluctant to part with a draft pick for a player who hadn’t established himself in the NHL.
— Somewhat surprising to see Downie get shipped out. The 24-year-old had been a solid contributor for the Bolts since coming over from Philadelphia three seasons ago, scoring a career-high 22 goals in 2009-10. He was also Tampa’s fourth-leading scorer in last year’s playoffs (2G-12A-14PTS in 17 games), finishing ahead of Steve Stamkos.
Downie’s reputation as one of the league’s most renowned — and reckless — agitators gives the Avs more bite, something they’ve been lacking this season outside of Cody McLeod and Shane O’Brien. That said, Downie has a penchant for taking bad penalties and has been a repeat visitor to the NHL’s disciplinary department.
— Downie and Quincey are both impending RFAs. Downie’s in the final year of a deal with an annual cap hit of $1.85 million while Quincey’s is $3.13 million.
— Piche is an undrafted free agent currently playing with AHL Grand Rapids.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)