Feb 25, 2012, 10:45 PM EST
Jonathan Ericsson was on the ice for just 6:44 minutes on Saturday before he exited the game early in the second period. We learned afterwards that Ericsson will miss a minimum of four weeks because of a fractured wrist. With about a month and a half left in 2011-12, it looks like the best the Red Wings can hope for is that Ericsson returns in time to shake off the rust before the postseason.
Detroit isn’t in any real danger of missing the playoffs, but they still have plenty to play for. The St. Louis Blues are breathing down their collective necks in the race for the Central Division title and the Vancouver Canucks are simultaneously battling them for the first overall seed in the Western Conference. A strong March could be the difference between maintaining home ice advantage throughout the playoffs and finishing with the fourth seed – or worse – in the Western Conference.
On a more positive note, the loss of Ericsson will be mitigated by Detroit’s recent acquisition of defenseman Kyle Quincey.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)