Feb 27, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
After seeing the Lightning do some wheeling and dealing ahead of the trade deadline, they’re going to step out of the spotlight today.
Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune reports that the Lightning won’t be getting involved in the trade deadline festivities today and that GM Steve Yzerman is more than satisfied in doing that.
“We’ve made our major moves here and we’ll see what is up over the next 27 hours or so,” he said Sunday afternoon. “We’ll obviously work the phone and see what’s out there. As far as acquiring players, real impact players, that’s more likely to be done at the draft.”
After dishing Steve Downie to Colorado for Kyle Quincey and then sending Quincey to Detroit for a first round pick and Pavel Kubina and Dominic Moore for second round picks, Yzerman was smart to get out of the way of the madness that ensues on a day like today where values can change at a moment’s notice.
With the Lightning being where they’re at in the playoff hunt, that being on the outside and likely out of the mix, there’s no sense in being delusional about your chances. That’s a lesson a few other teams would be smart to learn today.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 24
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 21
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 26
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)