Feb 27, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
After seeing the Lightning do some wheeling and dealing ahead of the trade deadline, they’re going to step out of the spotlight today.
Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune reports that the Lightning won’t be getting involved in the trade deadline festivities today and that GM Steve Yzerman is more than satisfied in doing that.
“We’ve made our major moves here and we’ll see what is up over the next 27 hours or so,” he said Sunday afternoon. “We’ll obviously work the phone and see what’s out there. As far as acquiring players, real impact players, that’s more likely to be done at the draft.”
After dishing Steve Downie to Colorado for Kyle Quincey and then sending Quincey to Detroit for a first round pick and Pavel Kubina and Dominic Moore for second round picks, Yzerman was smart to get out of the way of the madness that ensues on a day like today where values can change at a moment’s notice.
With the Lightning being where they’re at in the playoff hunt, that being on the outside and likely out of the mix, there’s no sense in being delusional about your chances. That’s a lesson a few other teams would be smart to learn today.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)