Feb 27, 2012, 9:22 AM EST
After seeing the Lightning do some wheeling and dealing ahead of the trade deadline, they’re going to step out of the spotlight today.
Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune reports that the Lightning won’t be getting involved in the trade deadline festivities today and that GM Steve Yzerman is more than satisfied in doing that.
“We’ve made our major moves here and we’ll see what is up over the next 27 hours or so,” he said Sunday afternoon. “We’ll obviously work the phone and see what’s out there. As far as acquiring players, real impact players, that’s more likely to be done at the draft.”
After dishing Steve Downie to Colorado for Kyle Quincey and then sending Quincey to Detroit for a first round pick and Pavel Kubina and Dominic Moore for second round picks, Yzerman was smart to get out of the way of the madness that ensues on a day like today where values can change at a moment’s notice.
With the Lightning being where they’re at in the playoff hunt, that being on the outside and likely out of the mix, there’s no sense in being delusional about your chances. That’s a lesson a few other teams would be smart to learn today.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)