Feb 27, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
After seeing the Lightning do some wheeling and dealing ahead of the trade deadline, they’re going to step out of the spotlight today.
Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune reports that the Lightning won’t be getting involved in the trade deadline festivities today and that GM Steve Yzerman is more than satisfied in doing that.
“We’ve made our major moves here and we’ll see what is up over the next 27 hours or so,” he said Sunday afternoon. “We’ll obviously work the phone and see what’s out there. As far as acquiring players, real impact players, that’s more likely to be done at the draft.”
After dishing Steve Downie to Colorado for Kyle Quincey and then sending Quincey to Detroit for a first round pick and Pavel Kubina and Dominic Moore for second round picks, Yzerman was smart to get out of the way of the madness that ensues on a day like today where values can change at a moment’s notice.
With the Lightning being where they’re at in the playoff hunt, that being on the outside and likely out of the mix, there’s no sense in being delusional about your chances. That’s a lesson a few other teams would be smart to learn today.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination