Feb 27, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
After seeing the Lightning do some wheeling and dealing ahead of the trade deadline, they’re going to step out of the spotlight today.
Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune reports that the Lightning won’t be getting involved in the trade deadline festivities today and that GM Steve Yzerman is more than satisfied in doing that.
“We’ve made our major moves here and we’ll see what is up over the next 27 hours or so,” he said Sunday afternoon. “We’ll obviously work the phone and see what’s out there. As far as acquiring players, real impact players, that’s more likely to be done at the draft.”
After dishing Steve Downie to Colorado for Kyle Quincey and then sending Quincey to Detroit for a first round pick and Pavel Kubina and Dominic Moore for second round picks, Yzerman was smart to get out of the way of the madness that ensues on a day like today where values can change at a moment’s notice.
With the Lightning being where they’re at in the playoff hunt, that being on the outside and likely out of the mix, there’s no sense in being delusional about your chances. That’s a lesson a few other teams would be smart to learn today.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)