Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars were seen by many as one of the big winners of the summer.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi said he couldn’t be prouder of the job GM Jim Nill did as Mark Stepneski of the Stars’ website shared.
“What can I say? It’s marvelous what he has done,” Gaglardi said. “I look at our club and who we have added to our top six in terms of Hemsky and Spezza and you can get pretty excited pretty quickly. You hear [Spezza’s] name – he’s an amazing player – and then you realize he is going to be playing for the Dallas Stars. … Ales Hemsky is a heck of a player.”
Spezza and Hemsky teamed up together late last season in Ottawa when the Senators acquired Hemsky from the Edmonton Oilers. Hemsky then signed a three-year, $12 million deal with the Stars to re-join Spezza in Dallas.
Dallas steered clear of tweaking their defense and goaltending mostly because the defense is young and growing into their roles and Kari Lehtonen is already pretty darn good. Now it’s up to the Stars to live up to the offseason accolades and make Nill look even better at his job than he does now.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)