Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
The Dallas Stars were seen by many as one of the big winners of the summer.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi said he couldn’t be prouder of the job GM Jim Nill did as Mark Stepneski of the Stars’ website shared.
“What can I say? It’s marvelous what he has done,” Gaglardi said. “I look at our club and who we have added to our top six in terms of Hemsky and Spezza and you can get pretty excited pretty quickly. You hear [Spezza’s] name – he’s an amazing player – and then you realize he is going to be playing for the Dallas Stars. … Ales Hemsky is a heck of a player.”
Spezza and Hemsky teamed up together late last season in Ottawa when the Senators acquired Hemsky from the Edmonton Oilers. Hemsky then signed a three-year, $12 million deal with the Stars to re-join Spezza in Dallas.
Dallas steered clear of tweaking their defense and goaltending mostly because the defense is young and growing into their roles and Kari Lehtonen is already pretty darn good. Now it’s up to the Stars to live up to the offseason accolades and make Nill look even better at his job than he does now.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 22
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5