Jul 6, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
One team that wasn’t active in free agency chasing defensive help was the Dallas Stars. Turns out there’s a good reason for that.
Stars GM Jim Nill is a big fan of the young defensemen the team has in the pipeline and gave his thoughts on just what they’ve got waiting in the wings as Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News shared.
“I’m excited about our defense,” Nill said. “We’ve got three or four young kids that are knocking on the door from the Calder Cup championship down in Texas. We think we’ve got lots of different options. We know they’re all going to get better. We think we’re going to be just fine.”
The list of big, young blue liners the Stars have is a solid one. Jordie Benn, Brenden Dillon, Kevin Connauton, Jamie Oleksiak, and Patrik Nemeth jump to mind right away with the first three having already been solid contributors last season in Dallas.
The Stars have an interesting mix of young and old on defense as it is. Sergei Gonchar, Trevor Daley, and Alex Goligoski round out the group and Gonchar is the only actually senior member at 40 years old. Daley (30) and Goligoski (28) have been around a bit but aren’t exactly old.
After the other moves Dallas has made this summer, it’s probably time to start thinking of them as serious contenders out West.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)