Jul 1, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
Jason Spezza has been traded to the Dallas Stars. The 31-year-old center goes from the Senators, along with prospect Ludvig Karlsson, in return for winger Alex Chiasson, prospects Alex Guptill and Nicholas Paul, plus a second-round draft pick in 2015.
Spezza is signed for one more season for a salary of $4 million and a cap hit of $7 million. He had 25 goals and 43 assists for the Sens last season. A second overall pick in 2001, Spezza has 687 points in 686 NHL games.
Chiasson, 23, had 13 goals and 22 assists as a winger for the Stars in 2013-14. He can become a restricted free agent next summer.
For the Sens, the deal frees up a significant amount of cap space. And according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, who first reported the trade, the Sens “aren’t done by a long-shot. More trades coming today.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)