Jul 1, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
Jason Spezza has been traded to the Dallas Stars. The 31-year-old center goes from the Senators, along with prospect Ludvig Karlsson, in return for winger Alex Chiasson, prospects Alex Guptill and Nicholas Paul, plus a second-round draft pick in 2015.
Spezza is signed for one more season for a salary of $4 million and a cap hit of $7 million. He had 25 goals and 43 assists for the Sens last season. A second overall pick in 2001, Spezza has 687 points in 686 NHL games.
Chiasson, 23, had 13 goals and 22 assists as a winger for the Stars in 2013-14. He can become a restricted free agent next summer.
For the Sens, the deal frees up a significant amount of cap space. And according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, who first reported the trade, the Sens “aren’t done by a long-shot. More trades coming today.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)