Jun 26, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
We also already knew that the Maple Leafs want to keep Bolland, because he’s “the type of player (they) need.”
So why haven’t the two sides come to an agreement on a new contract for the pending unrestricted free agent center?
“It’s not that we’re not speaking to each other,” Leafs general manager Dave Nonis said Thursday afternoon. “It’s at this point we haven’t been able to find common ground for a deal. … There’s a number and term that we believe is fair, and [Bolland and his agent, Anton Thun] have a different number and different term.
“We still have time to get something done. Whether that happens or not — last year, we were in a similar situation with Tyler Bozak and he ended up signing — whether we get to that or not remains to be seen.”
And if it doesn’t happen? Does Nonis expect to have certainty on the Bolland situation by July 1, so he can go to Plan B as soon as the league-wide bidding frenzy begins?
“Your only Plan B is going to be the players you have under contract,” said Nonis. “Because you don’t know who else you can sign. … The only certainty is the players that are our own.”
“[A trade] is a possibility,” admitted Nonis. “The other possibility is to come here and try to start here. … I wouldn’t rule out him coming back.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)