Jun 26, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
We also already knew that the Maple Leafs want to keep Bolland, because he’s “the type of player (they) need.”
So why haven’t the two sides come to an agreement on a new contract for the pending unrestricted free agent center?
“It’s not that we’re not speaking to each other,” Leafs general manager Dave Nonis said Thursday afternoon. “It’s at this point we haven’t been able to find common ground for a deal. … There’s a number and term that we believe is fair, and [Bolland and his agent, Anton Thun] have a different number and different term.
“We still have time to get something done. Whether that happens or not — last year, we were in a similar situation with Tyler Bozak and he ended up signing — whether we get to that or not remains to be seen.”
And if it doesn’t happen? Does Nonis expect to have certainty on the Bolland situation by July 1, so he can go to Plan B as soon as the league-wide bidding frenzy begins?
“Your only Plan B is going to be the players you have under contract,” said Nonis. “Because you don’t know who else you can sign. … The only certainty is the players that are our own.”
“[A trade] is a possibility,” admitted Nonis. “The other possibility is to come here and try to start here. … I wouldn’t rule out him coming back.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 15
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 43
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)