Jul 5, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Tyler Bozak has re-signed in Toronto for five years and $21 million (cap hit $4.2 million).
The commitment from the Maple Leafs to keep the 27-year-old center comes a day after the club announced it would use a compliance buyout on center Mikhail Grabovski.
Bozak had 28 points in 46 games last season. During his time with the Leafs, he’s found good offensive chemistry with winger Phil Kessel.
“They’re two smart hockey players,” head coach Randy Carlyle said in April, per the Globe and Mail. “They’ve got very high [hockey] IQ. They know where one another are, they play off of one another and they look for one another. They think the game in a lot of the same manner.”
There have, however, been questions about Bozak’s defensive play.
Suffice to say, this is a deal that will be much-debated in Toronto.
And general manager Dave Nonis may not be done yet — a big deal with winger David Clarkson could be the next news out of Leafs-land.
My buddy is back leaf nation—
Phil Kessel (@PKessel81) July 05, 2013
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)