Jul 5, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Tyler Bozak has re-signed in Toronto for five years and $21 million (cap hit $4.2 million).
The commitment from the Maple Leafs to keep the 27-year-old center comes a day after the club announced it would use a compliance buyout on center Mikhail Grabovski.
Bozak had 28 points in 46 games last season. During his time with the Leafs, he’s found good offensive chemistry with winger Phil Kessel.
“They’re two smart hockey players,” head coach Randy Carlyle said in April, per the Globe and Mail. “They’ve got very high [hockey] IQ. They know where one another are, they play off of one another and they look for one another. They think the game in a lot of the same manner.”
There have, however, been questions about Bozak’s defensive play.
Suffice to say, this is a deal that will be much-debated in Toronto.
And general manager Dave Nonis may not be done yet — a big deal with winger David Clarkson could be the next news out of Leafs-land.
My buddy is back leaf nation—
Phil Kessel (@PKessel81) July 05, 2013
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)