Apr 9, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Is James Reimer going to ask the Maple Leafs to move him this summer?
Well, he’s not ready to say yet. But he did appreciate why reporters would ask.
“Let’s wait a couple of days before we talk about [the possibility of asking for a trade],” Remier said on Wednesday, per TSN. “Obviously, it’s a fair question.”
To say it’s been a tough year for Reimer would be a big understatement. After backstopping Toronto to its first playoff appearance in seven years last season, Reimer watched as the Leafs went out and acquired Jonathan Bernier from Los Angeles, then watched as the one-time goalie timeshare quickly turned into Bernier as the No. 1, and Reimer as the No. 2.
But that was just the start of things.
Toronto’s late-season collapse coincided with Bernier getting hurt and Reimer coming on in relief, which led to Randy Carlyle’s now-infamous “he was okay, you know, just okay,” remark following a 3-2 loss to Detroit, a comment that seemed to sting Reimer.
Looking ahead, though, one has to think Reimer would be a considerable target for teams looking to upgrade their goaltending this summer. A pending RFA, he’s in the last of a three-year, $5.4 million deal and is only 26 years old, posting really strong save percentages during both last regular season (.924) and opening-round playoff loss to Boston (.923).
He also got off to a tremendous start this year, going 5-0-0 in October with a .949 save percentage and one shutout.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)