Apr 9, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Is James Reimer going to ask the Maple Leafs to move him this summer?
Well, he’s not ready to say yet. But he did appreciate why reporters would ask.
“Let’s wait a couple of days before we talk about [the possibility of asking for a trade],” Remier said on Wednesday, per TSN. “Obviously, it’s a fair question.”
To say it’s been a tough year for Reimer would be a big understatement. After backstopping Toronto to its first playoff appearance in seven years last season, Reimer watched as the Leafs went out and acquired Jonathan Bernier from Los Angeles, then watched as the one-time goalie timeshare quickly turned into Bernier as the No. 1, and Reimer as the No. 2.
But that was just the start of things.
Toronto’s late-season collapse coincided with Bernier getting hurt and Reimer coming on in relief, which led to Randy Carlyle’s now-infamous “he was okay, you know, just okay,” remark following a 3-2 loss to Detroit, a comment that seemed to sting Reimer.
Looking ahead, though, one has to think Reimer would be a considerable target for teams looking to upgrade their goaltending this summer. A pending RFA, he’s in the last of a three-year, $5.4 million deal and is only 26 years old, posting really strong save percentages during both last regular season (.924) and opening-round playoff loss to Boston (.923).
He also got off to a tremendous start this year, going 5-0-0 in October with a .949 save percentage and one shutout.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)