Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
The Ducks scored twice in the final 2:10 of the third period to force overtime, something that was made possible by Boudreau pulling Hiller initially with 2:26 to play.
After Bonino’s second of the night sent the Ducks on to the Pacific Division Final, Boudreau gave credit to Colorado Avalanche coach Patrick Roy for the inspiration in pulling the goalie sooner than usual for helping spark the comeback.
“I have to thank Patrick Roy. If he didn’t start pulling the goalie so early all year, I don’t think any of [us] would have,” Boudreau said.
Roy’s decision to pull the goalie earlier than normal has paid off well for his own Avalanche team and inspired others to help turn pressure in the other direction to their benefit.
Irony isn’t lost here seeing Boudreau giving credit to Roy after how they had their own run-in early this season in which Roy nearly knocked a glass partition down on the Ducks bench. Considering how Roy and Boudreau didn’t have very nice things to say about each other then, Boudreau tipping his cap to Roy now is rather delightful.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 41
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)