Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
The Ducks scored twice in the final 2:10 of the third period to force overtime, something that was made possible by Boudreau pulling Hiller initially with 2:26 to play.
After Bonino’s second of the night sent the Ducks on to the Pacific Division Final, Boudreau gave credit to Colorado Avalanche coach Patrick Roy for the inspiration in pulling the goalie sooner than usual for helping spark the comeback.
“I have to thank Patrick Roy. If he didn’t start pulling the goalie so early all year, I don’t think any of [us] would have,” Boudreau said.
Roy’s decision to pull the goalie earlier than normal has paid off well for his own Avalanche team and inspired others to help turn pressure in the other direction to their benefit.
Irony isn’t lost here seeing Boudreau giving credit to Roy after how they had their own run-in early this season in which Roy nearly knocked a glass partition down on the Ducks bench. Considering how Roy and Boudreau didn’t have very nice things to say about each other then, Boudreau tipping his cap to Roy now is rather delightful.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)