Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
The Ducks scored twice in the final 2:10 of the third period to force overtime, something that was made possible by Boudreau pulling Hiller initially with 2:26 to play.
After Bonino’s second of the night sent the Ducks on to the Pacific Division Final, Boudreau gave credit to Colorado Avalanche coach Patrick Roy for the inspiration in pulling the goalie sooner than usual for helping spark the comeback.
“I have to thank Patrick Roy. If he didn’t start pulling the goalie so early all year, I don’t think any of [us] would have,” Boudreau said.
Roy’s decision to pull the goalie earlier than normal has paid off well for his own Avalanche team and inspired others to help turn pressure in the other direction to their benefit.
Irony isn’t lost here seeing Boudreau giving credit to Roy after how they had their own run-in early this season in which Roy nearly knocked a glass partition down on the Ducks bench. Considering how Roy and Boudreau didn’t have very nice things to say about each other then, Boudreau tipping his cap to Roy now is rather delightful.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)