Apr 28, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
The Ducks scored twice in the final 2:10 of the third period to force overtime, something that was made possible by Boudreau pulling Hiller initially with 2:26 to play.
After Bonino’s second of the night sent the Ducks on to the Pacific Division Final, Boudreau gave credit to Colorado Avalanche coach Patrick Roy for the inspiration in pulling the goalie sooner than usual for helping spark the comeback.
“I have to thank Patrick Roy. If he didn’t start pulling the goalie so early all year, I don’t think any of [us] would have,” Boudreau said.
Roy’s decision to pull the goalie earlier than normal has paid off well for his own Avalanche team and inspired others to help turn pressure in the other direction to their benefit.
Irony isn’t lost here seeing Boudreau giving credit to Roy after how they had their own run-in early this season in which Roy nearly knocked a glass partition down on the Ducks bench. Considering how Roy and Boudreau didn’t have very nice things to say about each other then, Boudreau tipping his cap to Roy now is rather delightful.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)