Apr 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Ryan Garbutt wound up on the wrong side of the law during Game 4 against the Anaheim Ducks.
Garbutt was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for spearing Ducks forward Corey Perry in the groin. This comes after Perry got away with spearing Stars captain Jamie Benn during Game 2.
Stars coach Lindy Ruff gave his thoughts on Garbutt’s incident and he thinks it’s being blown a bit out of proportion as Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News shares.
“It’s something we obviously don’t want to see,” Ruff said. “I didn’t think it was as bad as it was made out to be. I don’t think it was as bad as the spearing on Jamie Benn, in my eyes. It’s still definitely a penalty, and it’s something I don’t want to see as a coach.”
Obviously Ruff has a bit of a slanted view on each situation, but the key difference here is Garbutt got caught red-handed and Perry dropped to the ice in heap.
That kind of stuff is hard to ignore and with the proliferation of spearing incidents in the playoffs, officials are keeping closer tabs on how sticks are being used. After Milan Lucic was dinged for just $5,000 for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, don’t expect to see much, if any, league punishment for Garbutt.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 20
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 20
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 31
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)