Apr 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
Dallas Stars forward Ryan Garbutt wound up on the wrong side of the law during Game 4 against the Anaheim Ducks.
Garbutt was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for spearing Ducks forward Corey Perry in the groin. This comes after Perry got away with spearing Stars captain Jamie Benn during Game 2.
Stars coach Lindy Ruff gave his thoughts on Garbutt’s incident and he thinks it’s being blown a bit out of proportion as Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News shares.
“It’s something we obviously don’t want to see,” Ruff said. “I didn’t think it was as bad as it was made out to be. I don’t think it was as bad as the spearing on Jamie Benn, in my eyes. It’s still definitely a penalty, and it’s something I don’t want to see as a coach.”
Obviously Ruff has a bit of a slanted view on each situation, but the key difference here is Garbutt got caught red-handed and Perry dropped to the ice in heap.
That kind of stuff is hard to ignore and with the proliferation of spearing incidents in the playoffs, officials are keeping closer tabs on how sticks are being used. After Milan Lucic was dinged for just $5,000 for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, don’t expect to see much, if any, league punishment for Garbutt.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)