Apr 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Ryan Garbutt wound up on the wrong side of the law during Game 4 against the Anaheim Ducks.
Garbutt was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for spearing Ducks forward Corey Perry in the groin. This comes after Perry got away with spearing Stars captain Jamie Benn during Game 2.
Stars coach Lindy Ruff gave his thoughts on Garbutt’s incident and he thinks it’s being blown a bit out of proportion as Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News shares.
“It’s something we obviously don’t want to see,” Ruff said. “I didn’t think it was as bad as it was made out to be. I don’t think it was as bad as the spearing on Jamie Benn, in my eyes. It’s still definitely a penalty, and it’s something I don’t want to see as a coach.”
Obviously Ruff has a bit of a slanted view on each situation, but the key difference here is Garbutt got caught red-handed and Perry dropped to the ice in heap.
That kind of stuff is hard to ignore and with the proliferation of spearing incidents in the playoffs, officials are keeping closer tabs on how sticks are being used. After Milan Lucic was dinged for just $5,000 for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, don’t expect to see much, if any, league punishment for Garbutt.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)