Apr 26, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Ryan Garbutt wound up on the wrong side of the law during Game 4 against the Anaheim Ducks.
Garbutt was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for spearing Ducks forward Corey Perry in the groin. This comes after Perry got away with spearing Stars captain Jamie Benn during Game 2.
Stars coach Lindy Ruff gave his thoughts on Garbutt’s incident and he thinks it’s being blown a bit out of proportion as Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News shares.
“It’s something we obviously don’t want to see,” Ruff said. “I didn’t think it was as bad as it was made out to be. I don’t think it was as bad as the spearing on Jamie Benn, in my eyes. It’s still definitely a penalty, and it’s something I don’t want to see as a coach.”
Obviously Ruff has a bit of a slanted view on each situation, but the key difference here is Garbutt got caught red-handed and Perry dropped to the ice in heap.
That kind of stuff is hard to ignore and with the proliferation of spearing incidents in the playoffs, officials are keeping closer tabs on how sticks are being used. After Milan Lucic was dinged for just $5,000 for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, don’t expect to see much, if any, league punishment for Garbutt.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 17
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)