Apr 25, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Continuing an unfortunate trend in the 2014 playoffs, Ryan Garbutt speared Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry at 9:11 of the first period. Perry, who was nowhere near the puck as he had just come off the bench, fell to the ice.
Garbutt got five minutes and a game misconduct as punishment. Perry eventually returned to the contest. You can see the incident below:
That comes after Perry speared Jamie Benn earlier in the series and didn’t receive a fine or suspension for his actions. Incidentally, Benn scored a shorthanded goal during the Ducks’ five-minute power-play. Rickard Rakell responded for Anaheim 26 seconds later to give the Ducks a 2-1 lead.
Mike Richards also didn’t receive supplemental disciple for spearing San Jose’s Logan Couture on Sunday. Milan Lucic lost $5,000 against his $6 million annual salary for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser on Apr. 18.
We’ll see if Garbutt ends up getting punished beyond the five-minute major.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)