Apr 1, 2014, 9:28 AM EST
Jaromir Jagr had a four-point night to lead the New Jersey Devils to a 6-3 victory over the Florida Panthers. It was a win the Devils desperately needed as they hope against reason that they can still make the playoffs.
But Jagr wasn’t in the mood to celebrate Monday night.
“We gotta play better hockey than today,” Jagr said, per NJ.com. “That’s for sure. Otherwise we don’t have a chance. We’ve gotta play better hockey. We were lucky.”
Jagr went onto say his team was “sleeping” and that they played like it was “a (bleep)ing preseason game.”
The 42-year-old forward hasn’t been shy when it comes to expressing himself to the media. In January, he openly wondered if the Devils simply weren’t good enough because they were repeatedly making the same mistakes. When he was separated from linemate Travis Zajac — who he helped earn his first career hat trick last night — in February, he said that it didn’t make sense.
It’s worth adding that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello and coach Pete DeBoer have both previously defended Jagr’s right to call out his teammates.
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 20
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)