Apr 1, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
Jaromir Jagr had a four-point night to lead the New Jersey Devils to a 6-3 victory over the Florida Panthers. It was a win the Devils desperately needed as they hope against reason that they can still make the playoffs.
But Jagr wasn’t in the mood to celebrate Monday night.
“We gotta play better hockey than today,” Jagr said, per NJ.com. “That’s for sure. Otherwise we don’t have a chance. We’ve gotta play better hockey. We were lucky.”
Jagr went onto say his team was “sleeping” and that they played like it was “a (bleep)ing preseason game.”
The 42-year-old forward hasn’t been shy when it comes to expressing himself to the media. In January, he openly wondered if the Devils simply weren’t good enough because they were repeatedly making the same mistakes. When he was separated from linemate Travis Zajac — who he helped earn his first career hat trick last night — in February, he said that it didn’t make sense.
It’s worth adding that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello and coach Pete DeBoer have both previously defended Jagr’s right to call out his teammates.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)