Apr 1, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
Jaromir Jagr had a four-point night to lead the New Jersey Devils to a 6-3 victory over the Florida Panthers. It was a win the Devils desperately needed as they hope against reason that they can still make the playoffs.
But Jagr wasn’t in the mood to celebrate Monday night.
“We gotta play better hockey than today,” Jagr said, per NJ.com. “That’s for sure. Otherwise we don’t have a chance. We’ve gotta play better hockey. We were lucky.”
Jagr went onto say his team was “sleeping” and that they played like it was “a (bleep)ing preseason game.”
The 42-year-old forward hasn’t been shy when it comes to expressing himself to the media. In January, he openly wondered if the Devils simply weren’t good enough because they were repeatedly making the same mistakes. When he was separated from linemate Travis Zajac — who he helped earn his first career hat trick last night — in February, he said that it didn’t make sense.
It’s worth adding that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello and coach Pete DeBoer have both previously defended Jagr’s right to call out his teammates.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)