Jan 9, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
It tells you something about the kind of guy Jaromir Jagr is that he could be “so angry” on the same night that he tied Mario Lemieux for seventh place on the NHL’s all-time points list.
That accomplishment temporarily took a backseat to Philadelphia’s come-from-behind 3-2 overtime victory on Tuesday.
Jagr felt the team failed to take advantage of early opportunities. More importantly, he argued that the Devils aren’t learning and are instead making “the same mistakes over and over and over.”
After that harsh criticism of his teammates, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello defended Jagr’s because he feels the future Hall of Famer speaks up for the right reasons. Coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t have a problem with Jagr’s statement either, noting that he can see the 41-year-old forward’s frustration.
“We all have to do a little bit more and be a part of the solution,” DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “It’s easy, including myself, to sit up there and say, ‘Hey, this is what’s wrong.’ We can all see that we haven’t scored. What’s the solution and I think we all have to look in the mirror and do that.”
Obviously, it doesn’t help that Patrik Elias (upper body) and Damien Brunner (knee) are sidelined, but it’s not like the Devils were an offensive juggernaut to begin with. In fact, Jagr is the only New Jersey player with more than 25 points and one of just three with at least 10 goals.
The Devils are still just four points shy of a postseason spot going into tonight’s match against Dallas.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54