Jan 9, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
It tells you something about the kind of guy Jaromir Jagr is that he could be “so angry” on the same night that he tied Mario Lemieux for seventh place on the NHL’s all-time points list.
That accomplishment temporarily took a backseat to Philadelphia’s come-from-behind 3-2 overtime victory on Tuesday.
Jagr felt the team failed to take advantage of early opportunities. More importantly, he argued that the Devils aren’t learning and are instead making “the same mistakes over and over and over.”
After that harsh criticism of his teammates, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello defended Jagr’s because he feels the future Hall of Famer speaks up for the right reasons. Coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t have a problem with Jagr’s statement either, noting that he can see the 41-year-old forward’s frustration.
“We all have to do a little bit more and be a part of the solution,” DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “It’s easy, including myself, to sit up there and say, ‘Hey, this is what’s wrong.’ We can all see that we haven’t scored. What’s the solution and I think we all have to look in the mirror and do that.”
Obviously, it doesn’t help that Patrik Elias (upper body) and Damien Brunner (knee) are sidelined, but it’s not like the Devils were an offensive juggernaut to begin with. In fact, Jagr is the only New Jersey player with more than 25 points and one of just three with at least 10 goals.
The Devils are still just four points shy of a postseason spot going into tonight’s match against Dallas.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)