Jan 9, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
It tells you something about the kind of guy Jaromir Jagr is that he could be “so angry” on the same night that he tied Mario Lemieux for seventh place on the NHL’s all-time points list.
That accomplishment temporarily took a backseat to Philadelphia’s come-from-behind 3-2 overtime victory on Tuesday.
Jagr felt the team failed to take advantage of early opportunities. More importantly, he argued that the Devils aren’t learning and are instead making “the same mistakes over and over and over.”
After that harsh criticism of his teammates, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello defended Jagr’s because he feels the future Hall of Famer speaks up for the right reasons. Coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t have a problem with Jagr’s statement either, noting that he can see the 41-year-old forward’s frustration.
“We all have to do a little bit more and be a part of the solution,” DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “It’s easy, including myself, to sit up there and say, ‘Hey, this is what’s wrong.’ We can all see that we haven’t scored. What’s the solution and I think we all have to look in the mirror and do that.”
Obviously, it doesn’t help that Patrik Elias (upper body) and Damien Brunner (knee) are sidelined, but it’s not like the Devils were an offensive juggernaut to begin with. In fact, Jagr is the only New Jersey player with more than 25 points and one of just three with at least 10 goals.
The Devils are still just four points shy of a postseason spot going into tonight’s match against Dallas.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)