Jan 9, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
It tells you something about the kind of guy Jaromir Jagr is that he could be “so angry” on the same night that he tied Mario Lemieux for seventh place on the NHL’s all-time points list.
That accomplishment temporarily took a backseat to Philadelphia’s come-from-behind 3-2 overtime victory on Tuesday.
Jagr felt the team failed to take advantage of early opportunities. More importantly, he argued that the Devils aren’t learning and are instead making “the same mistakes over and over and over.”
After that harsh criticism of his teammates, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello defended Jagr’s because he feels the future Hall of Famer speaks up for the right reasons. Coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t have a problem with Jagr’s statement either, noting that he can see the 41-year-old forward’s frustration.
“We all have to do a little bit more and be a part of the solution,” DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “It’s easy, including myself, to sit up there and say, ‘Hey, this is what’s wrong.’ We can all see that we haven’t scored. What’s the solution and I think we all have to look in the mirror and do that.”
Obviously, it doesn’t help that Patrik Elias (upper body) and Damien Brunner (knee) are sidelined, but it’s not like the Devils were an offensive juggernaut to begin with. In fact, Jagr is the only New Jersey player with more than 25 points and one of just three with at least 10 goals.
The Devils are still just four points shy of a postseason spot going into tonight’s match against Dallas.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)