Jan 9, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
It tells you something about the kind of guy Jaromir Jagr is that he could be “so angry” on the same night that he tied Mario Lemieux for seventh place on the NHL’s all-time points list.
That accomplishment temporarily took a backseat to Philadelphia’s come-from-behind 3-2 overtime victory on Tuesday.
Jagr felt the team failed to take advantage of early opportunities. More importantly, he argued that the Devils aren’t learning and are instead making “the same mistakes over and over and over.”
After that harsh criticism of his teammates, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello defended Jagr’s because he feels the future Hall of Famer speaks up for the right reasons. Coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t have a problem with Jagr’s statement either, noting that he can see the 41-year-old forward’s frustration.
“We all have to do a little bit more and be a part of the solution,” DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “It’s easy, including myself, to sit up there and say, ‘Hey, this is what’s wrong.’ We can all see that we haven’t scored. What’s the solution and I think we all have to look in the mirror and do that.”
Obviously, it doesn’t help that Patrik Elias (upper body) and Damien Brunner (knee) are sidelined, but it’s not like the Devils were an offensive juggernaut to begin with. In fact, Jagr is the only New Jersey player with more than 25 points and one of just three with at least 10 goals.
The Devils are still just four points shy of a postseason spot going into tonight’s match against Dallas.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17