Feb 26, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that the New York Rangers would trade captain Ryan Callahan while they’re still battling for a playoff spot and even after they lost leading scorer Mats Zuccarello, but that seems to be the likely outcome at this point.
In fact, the chances of Callahan being dealt are up to “99 percent,” according to TSN’s Darren Dreger’s source.
Callahan is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years. Consequently, talks have stalled between the Rangers and the 28-year-old forward.
Certainly the Rangers’ situation doesn’t typically lend itself to the seller role, but they might not be looking for prospects or picks in the first place. They reportedly tried to use Callahan as a bargaining chip to pry Martin St. Louis away from Tampa Bay and while that was a non-starter for GM Steve Yzerman, it does provide some potential insight into the type of deal the Rangers are interested in making.
It’s also worth noting that the St. Louis Blues have been mentioned as a possible destination for Callahan.
Meanwhile, the Rangers are still in talks with another potential free agent, defenseman Dan Girardi. The Rangers might end up trading him as well if those contract negotiations don’t lead to a resolution in the near future.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)