Feb 26, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that the New York Rangers would trade captain Ryan Callahan while they’re still battling for a playoff spot and even after they lost leading scorer Mats Zuccarello, but that seems to be the likely outcome at this point.
In fact, the chances of Callahan being dealt are up to “99 percent,” according to TSN’s Darren Dreger’s source.
Callahan is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years. Consequently, talks have stalled between the Rangers and the 28-year-old forward.
Certainly the Rangers’ situation doesn’t typically lend itself to the seller role, but they might not be looking for prospects or picks in the first place. They reportedly tried to use Callahan as a bargaining chip to pry Martin St. Louis away from Tampa Bay and while that was a non-starter for GM Steve Yzerman, it does provide some potential insight into the type of deal the Rangers are interested in making.
It’s also worth noting that the St. Louis Blues have been mentioned as a possible destination for Callahan.
Meanwhile, the Rangers are still in talks with another potential free agent, defenseman Dan Girardi. The Rangers might end up trading him as well if those contract negotiations don’t lead to a resolution in the near future.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)