Feb 26, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that the New York Rangers would trade captain Ryan Callahan while they’re still battling for a playoff spot and even after they lost leading scorer Mats Zuccarello, but that seems to be the likely outcome at this point.
In fact, the chances of Callahan being dealt are up to “99 percent,” according to TSN’s Darren Dreger’s source.
Callahan is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years. Consequently, talks have stalled between the Rangers and the 28-year-old forward.
Certainly the Rangers’ situation doesn’t typically lend itself to the seller role, but they might not be looking for prospects or picks in the first place. They reportedly tried to use Callahan as a bargaining chip to pry Martin St. Louis away from Tampa Bay and while that was a non-starter for GM Steve Yzerman, it does provide some potential insight into the type of deal the Rangers are interested in making.
It’s also worth noting that the St. Louis Blues have been mentioned as a possible destination for Callahan.
Meanwhile, the Rangers are still in talks with another potential free agent, defenseman Dan Girardi. The Rangers might end up trading him as well if those contract negotiations don’t lead to a resolution in the near future.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 25
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 41
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 95
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (95)