Feb 26, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
It’s hard to believe that the New York Rangers would trade captain Ryan Callahan while they’re still battling for a playoff spot and even after they lost leading scorer Mats Zuccarello, but that seems to be the likely outcome at this point.
In fact, the chances of Callahan being dealt are up to “99 percent,” according to TSN’s Darren Dreger’s source.
Callahan is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is reportedly seeking between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years. Consequently, talks have stalled between the Rangers and the 28-year-old forward.
Certainly the Rangers’ situation doesn’t typically lend itself to the seller role, but they might not be looking for prospects or picks in the first place. They reportedly tried to use Callahan as a bargaining chip to pry Martin St. Louis away from Tampa Bay and while that was a non-starter for GM Steve Yzerman, it does provide some potential insight into the type of deal the Rangers are interested in making.
It’s also worth noting that the St. Louis Blues have been mentioned as a possible destination for Callahan.
Meanwhile, the Rangers are still in talks with another potential free agent, defenseman Dan Girardi. The Rangers might end up trading him as well if those contract negotiations don’t lead to a resolution in the near future.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)