Feb 23, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
From the New York Post:
Reigning Art Ross Trophy winner and Canadian gold medal winner Martin St. Louis’ name has been in and out of play with the Rangers since Jan. 7, when he was bypassed by Team Canada (and Tampa Bay) general manager Steve Yzerman for his country’s Olympic roster, but no trade is pending that would bring the 38-year-old winger to New York, sources have told The Post.
Blueshirts’ general manager Glen Sather has inquired about a potential swap of team captains in which pending free agent Ryan Callahan would go to the Lightning in exchange for St. Louis, but Yzerman’s absolute lack of interest in dealing his leading scorer in exchange for a rental property has been made clear to the Rangers.
Callahan, the Rangers’ captain and U.S. Olympian, is in the final year of a three-year deal worth an annual cap hit of $4.275 million, as per Capgeek.com. It was reported prior to the Sochi Olympics that negotiations on a contract extension between the Rangers and Callahan stalled ahead of the NHL trade freeze.
Before that, Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, was going to renew negotiations with the Rangers, which was right around the beginning of February.
Now, how does St. Louis, a gold medalist with Canada’s men’s hockey team as of Sunday, fit into all this? The 38-year-old winger, with 56 points in 58 games, was originally left off Canada’s team when the roster was announced on Jan. 7. There was plenty of speculation as to how that would affect his relationship with Yzerman, the executive director of Canada’s team as well as the general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)