Feb 23, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
From the New York Post:
Reigning Art Ross Trophy winner and Canadian gold medal winner Martin St. Louis’ name has been in and out of play with the Rangers since Jan. 7, when he was bypassed by Team Canada (and Tampa Bay) general manager Steve Yzerman for his country’s Olympic roster, but no trade is pending that would bring the 38-year-old winger to New York, sources have told The Post.
Blueshirts’ general manager Glen Sather has inquired about a potential swap of team captains in which pending free agent Ryan Callahan would go to the Lightning in exchange for St. Louis, but Yzerman’s absolute lack of interest in dealing his leading scorer in exchange for a rental property has been made clear to the Rangers.
Callahan, the Rangers’ captain and U.S. Olympian, is in the final year of a three-year deal worth an annual cap hit of $4.275 million, as per Capgeek.com. It was reported prior to the Sochi Olympics that negotiations on a contract extension between the Rangers and Callahan stalled ahead of the NHL trade freeze.
Before that, Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, was going to renew negotiations with the Rangers, which was right around the beginning of February.
Now, how does St. Louis, a gold medalist with Canada’s men’s hockey team as of Sunday, fit into all this? The 38-year-old winger, with 56 points in 58 games, was originally left off Canada’s team when the roster was announced on Jan. 7. There was plenty of speculation as to how that would affect his relationship with Yzerman, the executive director of Canada’s team as well as the general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)