Feb 4, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
As it turns out, those numbers might not be accurate. Callahan might want even more than that. More specifically, he’s demanding somewhere between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years, according to TSN.
Meanwhile, the deal that would send Callahan to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Chris Stewart is believed to be still on the table. There’s also still a chance that the Rangers will still re-sign their captain given that they plan to reopen negotiations this week.
The Buffalo Sabres are also interested in paying Callahan, but not the Rangers, reports the New York Post. They aren’t about to deal away prospects for him, but they will be a major bidder for his services if he decides to test the free agent waters.
Ultimately, the suggestion that there are teams out there willing to pay Callahan top dollar might motivate him to stick to his demands, which would not only diminish the Rangers ability to re-sign him, but also hurt any potential return they can get in a trade.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 5
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12