Feb 4, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
As it turns out, those numbers might not be accurate. Callahan might want even more than that. More specifically, he’s demanding somewhere between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years, according to TSN.
Meanwhile, the deal that would send Callahan to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Chris Stewart is believed to be still on the table. There’s also still a chance that the Rangers will still re-sign their captain given that they plan to reopen negotiations this week.
The Buffalo Sabres are also interested in paying Callahan, but not the Rangers, reports the New York Post. They aren’t about to deal away prospects for him, but they will be a major bidder for his services if he decides to test the free agent waters.
Ultimately, the suggestion that there are teams out there willing to pay Callahan top dollar might motivate him to stick to his demands, which would not only diminish the Rangers ability to re-sign him, but also hurt any potential return they can get in a trade.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 0
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)