Feb 4, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
As it turns out, those numbers might not be accurate. Callahan might want even more than that. More specifically, he’s demanding somewhere between $45.5 million and $49 million over seven years, according to TSN.
Meanwhile, the deal that would send Callahan to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Chris Stewart is believed to be still on the table. There’s also still a chance that the Rangers will still re-sign their captain given that they plan to reopen negotiations this week.
The Buffalo Sabres are also interested in paying Callahan, but not the Rangers, reports the New York Post. They aren’t about to deal away prospects for him, but they will be a major bidder for his services if he decides to test the free agent waters.
Ultimately, the suggestion that there are teams out there willing to pay Callahan top dollar might motivate him to stick to his demands, which would not only diminish the Rangers ability to re-sign him, but also hurt any potential return they can get in a trade.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (85)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)