Feb 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
The 30-year-old PA Parenteau is in his second season with the Colorado Avalanche, although it’s hardly been anything like the productive lockout-shortened campaign he experienced in 2013, when he had 43 points in 48 games. His point production has slipped this season – he has 28 points in 46 games.
In the second year of a four-year contract worth an annual cap hit of $4 million, according to Capgeek.com, and the NHL’s March 5 trade deadline coming up, Parenteau appears aware of the reports that link his name to potential deals with other teams.
But he’s adamant that he wants to stay with the Avalanche, a team that sits third in the Central Division but only five points back of the St. Louis Blues for the top spot.
“You try not to think about it, but it’s not easy, especially when you have a family,” Parenteau told The Denver Post.
“I love it here. I want to stay here. You don’t want to leave a place you love, and you don’t want to leave a really good team too, which is what we have here. So, I know this is a really big chance for me now, and I’m planning on making it happen.”
Even if the Avalanche had been trying to move Parenteau, there is the possibility he does indeed stay with the Avalanche. The club announced last week that forward Alex Tanguay will get hip surgery and is done for the season, which could provide Parenteau the opportunity to re-establish himself in the Colorado lineup.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 40
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)