Feb 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
The 30-year-old PA Parenteau is in his second season with the Colorado Avalanche, although it’s hardly been anything like the productive lockout-shortened campaign he experienced in 2013, when he had 43 points in 48 games. His point production has slipped this season – he has 28 points in 46 games.
In the second year of a four-year contract worth an annual cap hit of $4 million, according to Capgeek.com, and the NHL’s March 5 trade deadline coming up, Parenteau appears aware of the reports that link his name to potential deals with other teams.
But he’s adamant that he wants to stay with the Avalanche, a team that sits third in the Central Division but only five points back of the St. Louis Blues for the top spot.
“You try not to think about it, but it’s not easy, especially when you have a family,” Parenteau told The Denver Post.
“I love it here. I want to stay here. You don’t want to leave a place you love, and you don’t want to leave a really good team too, which is what we have here. So, I know this is a really big chance for me now, and I’m planning on making it happen.”
Even if the Avalanche had been trying to move Parenteau, there is the possibility he does indeed stay with the Avalanche. The club announced last week that forward Alex Tanguay will get hip surgery and is done for the season, which could provide Parenteau the opportunity to re-establish himself in the Colorado lineup.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)