Feb 21, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Alex Tanguay won’t see the ice again this season.
The team announced Tanguay will miss the remainder of the season after he undergoes hip surgery on Friday. Tanguay’s season has been hampered by injury all season and coach Patrick Roy says the source of his hip problem was from a previous ailment.
“He’s going to have surgery tomorrow on his hip, but the reason why he is out is for the knee,” said Roy after Thursday’s practice. “The knee isn’t doing better. I guess it’s a mix of the hip and the knee.”
Tanguay injured his knee on Nov. 2 and returned from that on Jan. 24. After three games, he had to sit out again because of the ailing hip that needs surgery.
Roy added that they hoped his hip would improve over time and they wouldn’t need to operate. That wasn’t the case, however, but if there’s any kind of upside out of this it’s that the Avs have been dealing without Tanguay for most of the season.
As for what this means next for the Avs, Adrian Dater of The Denver Post says it likely takes P.A. Parenteau’s name off the trade block. The team had reportedly been trying to move him, including a rumored deal with Montreal that involved Rene Bourque.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)