Feb 21, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Alex Tanguay won’t see the ice again this season.
The team announced Tanguay will miss the remainder of the season after he undergoes hip surgery on Friday. Tanguay’s season has been hampered by injury all season and coach Patrick Roy says the source of his hip problem was from a previous ailment.
“He’s going to have surgery tomorrow on his hip, but the reason why he is out is for the knee,” said Roy after Thursday’s practice. “The knee isn’t doing better. I guess it’s a mix of the hip and the knee.”
Tanguay injured his knee on Nov. 2 and returned from that on Jan. 24. After three games, he had to sit out again because of the ailing hip that needs surgery.
Roy added that they hoped his hip would improve over time and they wouldn’t need to operate. That wasn’t the case, however, but if there’s any kind of upside out of this it’s that the Avs have been dealing without Tanguay for most of the season.
As for what this means next for the Avs, Adrian Dater of The Denver Post says it likely takes P.A. Parenteau’s name off the trade block. The team had reportedly been trying to move him, including a rumored deal with Montreal that involved Rene Bourque.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)