Feb 21, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Alex Tanguay won’t see the ice again this season.
The team announced Tanguay will miss the remainder of the season after he undergoes hip surgery on Friday. Tanguay’s season has been hampered by injury all season and coach Patrick Roy says the source of his hip problem was from a previous ailment.
“He’s going to have surgery tomorrow on his hip, but the reason why he is out is for the knee,” said Roy after Thursday’s practice. “The knee isn’t doing better. I guess it’s a mix of the hip and the knee.”
Tanguay injured his knee on Nov. 2 and returned from that on Jan. 24. After three games, he had to sit out again because of the ailing hip that needs surgery.
Roy added that they hoped his hip would improve over time and they wouldn’t need to operate. That wasn’t the case, however, but if there’s any kind of upside out of this it’s that the Avs have been dealing without Tanguay for most of the season.
As for what this means next for the Avs, Adrian Dater of The Denver Post says it likely takes P.A. Parenteau’s name off the trade block. The team had reportedly been trying to move him, including a rumored deal with Montreal that involved Rene Bourque.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)