Feb 13, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Alex Burrows of the Vancouver Canucks is injured. Again.
The good thing for him and the Canucks is the National Hockey League is on its Olympic break, so he does have time to heel up. The injury, according to Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun, is a sprained hand, suffered during a scuffle with Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel last Saturday – the final game before the league shut down for Sochi.
Burrows has played in 28 games this season for the Canucks, but has yet to score a goal. He has five assists. This slump is raising concerns because Burrows has, in four of the last five seasons, averaged more than 20 goals per season. He hit 35 in 2009-10.
Injuries have factored into his struggles.
Burrows suffered a broken foot in the season opener blocking a shot, which is an element of the defensive game head coach John Tortorella has emphasized in his time with the Canucks.
He then suffered a broken jaw in December after taking a puck to the face in a game against the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)