Feb 13, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
Alex Burrows of the Vancouver Canucks is injured. Again.
The good thing for him and the Canucks is the National Hockey League is on its Olympic break, so he does have time to heel up. The injury, according to Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun, is a sprained hand, suffered during a scuffle with Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel last Saturday – the final game before the league shut down for Sochi.
Burrows has played in 28 games this season for the Canucks, but has yet to score a goal. He has five assists. This slump is raising concerns because Burrows has, in four of the last five seasons, averaged more than 20 goals per season. He hit 35 in 2009-10.
Injuries have factored into his struggles.
Burrows suffered a broken foot in the season opener blocking a shot, which is an element of the defensive game head coach John Tortorella has emphasized in his time with the Canucks.
He then suffered a broken jaw in December after taking a puck to the face in a game against the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 17
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 55
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)