Feb 13, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Alex Burrows of the Vancouver Canucks is injured. Again.
The good thing for him and the Canucks is the National Hockey League is on its Olympic break, so he does have time to heel up. The injury, according to Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun, is a sprained hand, suffered during a scuffle with Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel last Saturday – the final game before the league shut down for Sochi.
Burrows has played in 28 games this season for the Canucks, but has yet to score a goal. He has five assists. This slump is raising concerns because Burrows has, in four of the last five seasons, averaged more than 20 goals per season. He hit 35 in 2009-10.
Injuries have factored into his struggles.
Burrows suffered a broken foot in the season opener blocking a shot, which is an element of the defensive game head coach John Tortorella has emphasized in his time with the Canucks.
He then suffered a broken jaw in December after taking a puck to the face in a game against the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)