Feb 13, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Alex Burrows of the Vancouver Canucks is injured. Again.
The good thing for him and the Canucks is the National Hockey League is on its Olympic break, so he does have time to heel up. The injury, according to Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun, is a sprained hand, suffered during a scuffle with Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel last Saturday – the final game before the league shut down for Sochi.
Burrows has played in 28 games this season for the Canucks, but has yet to score a goal. He has five assists. This slump is raising concerns because Burrows has, in four of the last five seasons, averaged more than 20 goals per season. He hit 35 in 2009-10.
Injuries have factored into his struggles.
Burrows suffered a broken foot in the season opener blocking a shot, which is an element of the defensive game head coach John Tortorella has emphasized in his time with the Canucks.
He then suffered a broken jaw in December after taking a puck to the face in a game against the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 12
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)