Oct 5, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella was optimistic that Alex Burrows would be able to play tonight despite missing Friday’s practice, but it looks like the news is significantly worse than initially hoped.
Burrows is believed to have sustained a leg injury while blocking a shot on Thursday. He was seen limping badly after the loss.
For now, the Canucks plan to use an extra defenseman rather than call up a forward. Burrows’ blend of physical play and offensive contributions would be missed under any circumstances, but it’s all the more troubling because of their potential depth issues. Tortorella wasn’t happy with the Vancouver Canucks’ fourth line and consequently used it sparingly during the Canucks’ opener.
Vancouver’s game against the Edmonton Oilers will start at 10:00 p.m. ET.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 0
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 11
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25