Oct 5, 2013, 2:08 PM EST
Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella was optimistic that Alex Burrows would be able to play tonight despite missing Friday’s practice, but it looks like the news is significantly worse than initially hoped.
Burrows is believed to have sustained a leg injury while blocking a shot on Thursday. He was seen limping badly after the loss.
For now, the Canucks plan to use an extra defenseman rather than call up a forward. Burrows’ blend of physical play and offensive contributions would be missed under any circumstances, but it’s all the more troubling because of their potential depth issues. Tortorella wasn’t happy with the Vancouver Canucks’ fourth line and consequently used it sparingly during the Canucks’ opener.
Vancouver’s game against the Edmonton Oilers will start at 10:00 p.m. ET.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 73
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)