Feb 8, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
It probably wasn’t what the management group of the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team wanted to see: Phil Kessel, headed for Sochi after tonight’s game, getting into a scuffle with Vancouver Canucks’ forward Alex Burrows.
Kessel and Burrows came together in the second period along the boards, throwing a healthy combination of cross checks and glove punches at each other before finally being separated. It started with a slash and a body check from Burrows on Kessel, then a cross check, then a slash from Kessel on Burrows and some more jousting between the two combatants.
Kessel, the Maple Leafs forward, is on pace for his best season in the NHL. He was at 30 goals and 63 points in 59 games before tonight’s meeting with the Canucks.
The U.S. hockey team is already going through an anxious time right now, with word the development that Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty, also named to the U.S. squad for Sochi, suffered a lower-body injury in a heavy collision with the net in Saturday’s game against Carolina.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 3
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)