Feb 8, 2014, 8:28 PM EST
It probably wasn’t what the management group of the U.S. men’s Olympic hockey team wanted to see: Phil Kessel, headed for Sochi after tonight’s game, getting into a scuffle with Vancouver Canucks’ forward Alex Burrows.
Kessel and Burrows came together in the second period along the boards, throwing a healthy combination of cross checks and glove punches at each other before finally being separated. It started with a slash and a body check from Burrows on Kessel, then a cross check, then a slash from Kessel on Burrows and some more jousting between the two combatants.
Kessel, the Maple Leafs forward, is on pace for his best season in the NHL. He was at 30 goals and 63 points in 59 games before tonight’s meeting with the Canucks.
The U.S. hockey team is already going through an anxious time right now, with word the development that Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty, also named to the U.S. squad for Sochi, suffered a lower-body injury in a heavy collision with the net in Saturday’s game against Carolina.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)