Feb 8, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty, slated to travel to Sochi for the U.S. Olympic hockey, was hurt after a collision into the Carolina Hurricanes’ net in the first period of Saturday’s game.
Pacioretty was in obvious pain as he had to be helped off the ice by a member of the training staff. He was driving hard to the net down the left wing, when he was hit into the net by Brett Bellemore.
This could have major implications for the U.S. men’s hockey team before players travel to Russia for the Sochi Olympics, which are now underway. If Pacioretty can’t go, it’s believed snubs Bobby Ryan or Kyle Okposo are the frontrunners to be called for replacement duty.
Updated: Pacioretty suffered a lower-body injury and will not return, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (73)