Feb 8, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty, slated to travel to Sochi for the U.S. Olympic hockey, was hurt after a collision into the Carolina Hurricanes’ net in the first period of Saturday’s game.
Pacioretty was in obvious pain as he had to be helped off the ice by a member of the training staff. He was driving hard to the net down the left wing, when he was hit into the net by Brett Bellemore.
This could have major implications for the U.S. men’s hockey team before players travel to Russia for the Sochi Olympics, which are now underway. If Pacioretty can’t go, it’s believed snubs Bobby Ryan or Kyle Okposo are the frontrunners to be called for replacement duty.
Updated: Pacioretty suffered a lower-body injury and will not return, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 7
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 55
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (55)