Feb 8, 2014, 7:19 PM EST
Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty, slated to travel to Sochi for the U.S. Olympic hockey, was hurt after a collision into the Carolina Hurricanes’ net in the first period of Saturday’s game.
Pacioretty was in obvious pain as he had to be helped off the ice by a member of the training staff. He was driving hard to the net down the left wing, when he was hit into the net by Brett Bellemore.
This could have major implications for the U.S. men’s hockey team before players travel to Russia for the Sochi Olympics, which are now underway. If Pacioretty can’t go, it’s believed snubs Bobby Ryan or Kyle Okposo are the frontrunners to be called for replacement duty.
Updated: Pacioretty suffered a lower-body injury and will not return, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)