Dec 3, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
Vancouver Canucks forward Alex Burrows was struck in the face when teammate Chris Tanev attempted to clear the puck midway through the second period of their 3-2 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday.
Here is the play in question:
Vancouver is hoping to have him back in about a month, although for now he’s being regarded as out indefinitely.
The 32-year-old forward recorded between 26 and 35 goals in each campaign from 2008-09 to 2011-12, but this season is turning into one he’d like to forget. He missed most of October because of a foot injury and hasn’t found the back of the net in the 17 games he has been healthy enough to play in.
With a 14-10-5 record, Vancouver is just one point behind the Phoenix Coyotes in the battle for the second Wild Card spot in the Western Conference, but the Canucks have played in three extra games. Vancouver will attempt to turn its victory over Carolina into the start of a winning streak against Nashville tonight.
Update (12:31 p.m. ET)
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 16
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 47
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 15
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)