Jan 7, 2014, 6:44 PM EST
Vancouver Canucks and Team Canada fans probably uttered a sigh of relief on Tuesday, as the latest update on Roberto Luongo indicates that he’ll be out between 7-14 days, according to Renaud Lavoie of the Journal de Montreal.
This backs up Monday’s report that Luongo’s MRI results were “fine.”
Ankle injuries can be tricky, so this reading could change as January goes on. Still, it sounds like Luongo’s issue won’t threaten his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Still, it underscores the notion that the 12 nations could face plenty of twists and turns as the competition approaches. As TSN’s James Duthie notes, the tone will soon shift from roster critiques to injury watches.
In the meantime, the Canucks will move on with Eddie Lack as their temporary starter. They recalled Joacim Eriksson to back Lack up as Vancouver faces the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. This really isn’t that unusual of a situation for the Canucks as Luongo, 34, has only played one game since Dec. 22.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 16
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)