Jan 7, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks and Team Canada fans probably uttered a sigh of relief on Tuesday, as the latest update on Roberto Luongo indicates that he’ll be out between 7-14 days, according to Renaud Lavoie of the Journal de Montreal.
This backs up Monday’s report that Luongo’s MRI results were “fine.”
Ankle injuries can be tricky, so this reading could change as January goes on. Still, it sounds like Luongo’s issue won’t threaten his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Still, it underscores the notion that the 12 nations could face plenty of twists and turns as the competition approaches. As TSN’s James Duthie notes, the tone will soon shift from roster critiques to injury watches.
In the meantime, the Canucks will move on with Eddie Lack as their temporary starter. They recalled Joacim Eriksson to back Lack up as Vancouver faces the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. This really isn’t that unusual of a situation for the Canucks as Luongo, 34, has only played one game since Dec. 22.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)