Jan 7, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks and Team Canada fans probably uttered a sigh of relief on Tuesday, as the latest update on Roberto Luongo indicates that he’ll be out between 7-14 days, according to Renaud Lavoie of the Journal de Montreal.
This backs up Monday’s report that Luongo’s MRI results were “fine.”
Ankle injuries can be tricky, so this reading could change as January goes on. Still, it sounds like Luongo’s issue won’t threaten his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Still, it underscores the notion that the 12 nations could face plenty of twists and turns as the competition approaches. As TSN’s James Duthie notes, the tone will soon shift from roster critiques to injury watches.
In the meantime, the Canucks will move on with Eddie Lack as their temporary starter. They recalled Joacim Eriksson to back Lack up as Vancouver faces the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. This really isn’t that unusual of a situation for the Canucks as Luongo, 34, has only played one game since Dec. 22.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)