Jan 7, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks and Team Canada fans probably uttered a sigh of relief on Tuesday, as the latest update on Roberto Luongo indicates that he’ll be out between 7-14 days, according to Renaud Lavoie of the Journal de Montreal.
This backs up Monday’s report that Luongo’s MRI results were “fine.”
Ankle injuries can be tricky, so this reading could change as January goes on. Still, it sounds like Luongo’s issue won’t threaten his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Still, it underscores the notion that the 12 nations could face plenty of twists and turns as the competition approaches. As TSN’s James Duthie notes, the tone will soon shift from roster critiques to injury watches.
In the meantime, the Canucks will move on with Eddie Lack as their temporary starter. They recalled Joacim Eriksson to back Lack up as Vancouver faces the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. This really isn’t that unusual of a situation for the Canucks as Luongo, 34, has only played one game since Dec. 22.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)