Jan 7, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks and Team Canada fans probably uttered a sigh of relief on Tuesday, as the latest update on Roberto Luongo indicates that he’ll be out between 7-14 days, according to Renaud Lavoie of the Journal de Montreal.
This backs up Monday’s report that Luongo’s MRI results were “fine.”
Ankle injuries can be tricky, so this reading could change as January goes on. Still, it sounds like Luongo’s issue won’t threaten his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Still, it underscores the notion that the 12 nations could face plenty of twists and turns as the competition approaches. As TSN’s James Duthie notes, the tone will soon shift from roster critiques to injury watches.
In the meantime, the Canucks will move on with Eddie Lack as their temporary starter. They recalled Joacim Eriksson to back Lack up as Vancouver faces the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. This really isn’t that unusual of a situation for the Canucks as Luongo, 34, has only played one game since Dec. 22.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 11
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)