Here is your 2014 Canada men’s Olympic roster

Jan 7, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT

Ice Hockey - Men's Gold Medal Game - Day 17 Getty Images

Hockey Canada has announced its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Without further ado, here it is:

Forwards (14): Jamie Benn, Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Sidney CrosbyMatt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Marleau, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews

Defense (8): Jay Bouwmeester, Drew Doughty, Dan Hamhuis, Duncan Keith, Alex Pietrangelo, P.K. Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber

Goalies (3): Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Mike Smith

UPDATE: Despite his best efforts, Steven Stamkos won’t be joining Team Canada due to a broken tibia. His Tampa Bay Lightning teammate, Martin St. Louis, was selected to fill the void.

Just a few quick thoughts (same as we did for the Americans’ roster announcement):

— Canada is the clear-cut favorite to defend its gold medal. On paper, this team shouldn’t have trouble with much of anything. Goaltending will be the one area that’s questioned, and if there’s going to be a downfall, that may well be it. But both Luongo and Price are enjoying solid NHL seasons and could just as easily be spectacular in Sochi. Remember that Luongo already got it done in 2010, and that was despite the immense pressure of playing at home in Vancouver, and Price is right there in the conversation for the Vezina Trophy in 2013-14.

— Canada boasts three of the top four scorers in the NHL (Crosby, Tavares, Getzlaf) and didn’t have room for Joe Thornton (5th), not to mention Martin St. Louis and Claude Giroux. But the Canadian forwards do more than score — in Toews and Bergeron, the two last Selke Trophy winners, Canada can deploy two of the premier 200-foot players in the game. That’s going to be important if they ever go up against the host Russians, whose overwhelming strength is in their top-six forwards.

— Last but certainly not least, the defense. Only Sweden comes close to matching the “depth of talent” (one of executive director Steve Yzerman’s favorite phrases) on Canada’s blue line. Keith and Doughty are recent Stanley Cup-winners who should see plenty of ice time, just like they did paired together in Vancouver. Weber provides a physical presence and a booming shot. Bouwmeester can skate for miles, likely paired with St. Louis teammate Pietrangelo. And Vlasic and Hamhuis are about as reliable as it gets. As for Subban, it’s telling that the defending Norris Trophy winner was no lock to make the team. At this point, it’s unclear how much coach Mike Babcock will play the 24-year-old, or even if he’ll dress for all the games.

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. sjsblitz - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Strong

• lonespeed - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Why wouldn’t Canada include Jeff Skinner. The guy has over 20-goals already after missing about three-weeks of the season, is scorching hot lately, and his game would translate exceptionally well to a larger ice surface.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Because it’s not an all star team. Do you understand what that means? You are building a team to win gold. Big difference.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Joey: here’s the problem I have with that, Canada built a team to win the grinding 7 game series of the Stanley Cup playoffs, not a team to win a series of win or go home games.

Pick the best players and let them play, I’d rather have the 6th best centre playing on the wing than the 4th best left winger who’s not nearly as good of a player. I think they over thought this and decided to take players for all situations (penalty kill guys, power play specialists, checking line players) when the reality is the best players can do all of those roles, just because they’re not asked to kill penalties or playing on a checking line with their NHL teams doesn’t mean they can’t.

I hope I’m wrong, I’ll certainly be cheering them (even the captain who I can’t stand) but I fear that they over thought it and tried to get too cute like they did in 2006 by taking the grind line.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM

atwatercrushesokoye, Hmmm! I don’t believe they build a team for to win the grinding 7 game series of the Stanley Cup playoffs. I believe creating duos like Crosby/Kunitz, Getzlaf/Perry and Toews/Sharp are no brainers to start. Here’s a stab at the top six and bottom six forwards. I just don’t see where Giroux would fit in here, or Joe Thornton for that matter. Can either of these guys be in the top 6? Top 9? Would they accept a secondary role more than Carter, Bergeron for example? idk I like the chemistry assuming they leave the duos together and add a player who can complement the duos.

Left shot=LS
        Right shot=RS

Duchesne LS Crosby LS Kunitz LS
        Sharp RS Toews C-L Stamkos RS

Nash LS Getzlaf RS Perry RS
        Marleau LS Bergeron RS Carter RS

Jamie Benn LS, John Tavares LS

• capsfan14 - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Joey4id, Jeff Skinner’s game translates beautifuly to the larger ice surfaces. You’re right, it’s not an all star team, but adding Jeff wouldn’t make it one either. Taking out Kunitz, who largley depends on Crosby, and adding a guy who has shown in the past that the bigger ice is an advantage to his game wouldn’t be a bad idea.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM

capsfan14, I’m not taking anything away from Skinner. But! Why would you want to break up one of the most effective duos of the league?

2. narfmoo12 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM

In what world is Jeff Carter more worthy and Giroux or St. Louis. Carter is essentially the hockey version of chucker in basketball. He scores a lot because he shoots a lot and never worries about passing or getting back on defense.

• btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I feel logan couture is better than all
      These players he snipes, blocks shots on pk, good in the cirlce great defensively and THey take carter? So what if logan had surgery he’ll be back
      By then

• areaman714 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Yep. The Carter inclusion is mind-numbing . . . St Louis, Giroux, Couture are much more talented and complete players. Jeff Carter being the leading scorer on a team that can’t score isn’t saying much . . .

• matt14gg - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Was that a comment or a haiku?

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:41 PM

You’re really taking this omission hard. Are you related to the guy? This is not an all star team, and you know what? I’ll put my fate in Yzerman and his team before I’ll even consider what you say. It’s obvious that you are bias.

3. killerpgh - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Looks like a good team………. if you don’t want to win Gold.

USA,USA,USA, USA, USA, USA

• mgp1219 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Hey killerpgh,
      I’m all for the USA winning gold, but with the likes of Blake Wheeler and Paul Martin on the team, don’t count on it.

• steelpenbucs87 - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Wheeler over Ryan or someone like that I can understand. However Martin has been a stellar defenseman the last two seasons as well as being strong in NJ as well. Stay at home, while also being able to move the puck and outlet.

• c9castine - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM

debbie downer.

just watched wheeler play i was really impressed. you will be too.

• jpelle82 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM

wheeler looked good against pittsburgh, though i think all the jets except buff did the other day.

4. girouxsalem89 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Carter over Giroux?

Thats just terrible.

• esracerx46 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Hamhuis over Seabrook? Maybe I’m just a Hawks homer. I think Giroux’s poor start played a huge role, but he should be on this team.

• kaptaanamerica - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Yes, you are correct that you are a hawks homer. Hamhuis deserves to be on the team, he’s that solid and responsible. Seabrook was always a long shot.

Giroux or Couture over Carter and maybe even Toes (i say that because you are a hawks homer).

• elvispocomo - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Left side versus right side. Hamhuis has been very good still and it isn’t that he doesn’t deserve it, even if Seabrook has played well.

Giroux’s slow start has to be the explanation, but that could easily be attributed to his injury and he’s since come on very strong. He’s been a big part in the Flyers resurgence and should have been picked over Carter.

• micasa81 - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Seabrook should be there – this coming from a Canucks fan. I don’t think he gets enough credit for Chicago’s defense because he doesn’t match Keith’s numbers. I would replace Vlasic before Hamhuis, but then, that might just be my bias too.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Giroux here, Giroux there. Big deal! He’s not as valuable on this team as is with the Flyers. No room for him on this team. He’s can’t be the game breaker type of player on this squad. Period!

5. charastein - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Nice roster, eh?

6. valoisvipers - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Mistakes were Carter,Nash and Subban.

• c9castine - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM

how is subban a mistake/ he projects as a 7th defenseman i think. i mean i don’t like the way the guy plays. i like how he can be a game changer but i think shift in shift out he has a lot of holes in his game.

that being said he belongs on a roster of this caliber especially if there is a steady veteran to pair him with. his game is wild and can bring negative results, or something really positive results.

hes a winner in my opinion.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Here’s my take on these choices; Subban: (I know you don’t like him… :-) ) Babcock wants 4 right and 4 left handed d men, which he has now. One could argue that they could have chosen Seabrook over Subban, but when it comes down to these two Subban is not a bad choice. I think this one is a wash.

I believe Carter is the type of player who may get less ice time than he usually gets with the Kings, and he can be efficient in this role. Some players like Giroux for example would not be very efficient if playing in the bottom 6.

Nash: Interesting, but not totally surprising given his success in international hockey.

Again, if it was an all star team then there would be less margin for errors. This team is also about having the right chemistry and components to fit into the system Babcock will be implementing. Synergy is more important than when selecting an all star team. There is more margin for error and more individual soft attributes to consider when selecting a team to go for gold. I hope eveyone on this team can spell intense. :-) Mr. Burke, what do you think?

• valoisvipers - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Hi Joey, I know the committee has more hockey knowledge than us average bears and I’m sure they spent a lot of time and research into the picks and scrutinizing each choice. That being said and being a couch potato Monday morning QB, I would rather have James Neal than Jeff Carter,both are snipers but Neal works like a dog and has played with Crosby and Kunitz. I believe they went with Nash because of his history but I feel that the years have taken it’s toll on him. I’m not sure what role they plan on playing him in so I won’t offer a replacement player for him but said player would be a dam good skater that plays both ways. As for my pet peeve Subban, I wouldn’t have selected him because I don’t trust him to act in the proper manner of a player representing our country. I would replace him with our local boy Kris Letang. Yes I know he is not yet having a great year but the guy skates like the wind and can carry the mail. Use him wisely and he would be a great asset to the team.Cheers

7. jpelle82 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM

glad to see kunitz made it, well deserved

• jb8588 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

He’s only there because he is a product of playing next to Sid for several seasons now. Nothing more.

• steelpenbucs87 - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM

20 goal scorer with PP and PK experience, as well as SC experience before he ever hit the Pens roster. I’m not so delusional that I don’t see that playing with Crosby got him the national attention to make a team like this but I think its a little more than “nothing more”.

• c9castine - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM

guys with that exclusive of a reason don’t make rosters like this. (I’m eating my words as a type when i think of rick nash)

read yzermans statement. its because he belongs.

• brockohol - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

So…play him with Sid so he can score a bunch of goals in the Olympics …seems like a no brainer

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Exactly! And that’s a good enough reason. It’s about having the chemistry needed to click right away. Good observation, fellow.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM

brockohol, yep! You get it!

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Agreed! One of my favorites only because he and Crosby have great synergy playing together and I think they can carry that with them in the Olympics.

• jb8588 - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Yeak Kunitz did assist in winning a cup in Anaheim, but before he reached Pittsburgh he wasn’t close to a point per game player that he is now. Before he got lined up with Sid, he never would of been brought in the discussion for an Olympic team. Then suddenly he’s lined up with Sid and he’s pointing up a bunch of points. Exactly why somebody like Alexei Kovalev’s best years by far were playing alongside Mario…it’s not much different.

• valoisvipers - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM

In between playing with Getzlaf and Crosby, Kunitz played with Malkin and was putting up point a game numbers with him.

• valoisvipers - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Forgot to point out that Kunitz also posted good numbers when Sid was broken for long periods of time. So give the guy his just dues.

8. btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Here come the butthurt leafs fans over lefty hammuis over lefty phaneuf

• elvispocomo - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Nope, haven’t seen any. I’d take Hamhuis over Phaneuf (doubly so considering contracts) any day.

9. uncledick - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Giroux snub its terrible. Jeff “high and wide” Carter? really??

• whammy71 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

who has a ring and who doesn’t? sometimes that goes a long way in determining these squads. i realize it may not make sense – but it is like saying player X is a better QB than player Y cause player X has a Super Bowl ring.

• uncledick - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I couldn’t disagree more. Its a team sport, Giroux is better than and makes his peers better than Carter does. Carter was a 3rd line player on a cup winning team, the ring is a week argument when judging an individual.

• girouxsalem89 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Jeff Carter is the king of scoring the 5th goal in a game you are up 4 to 1.

He’s basically just a guy with a really good wrist shot who has no idea how to play defense.

• areaman714 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Carter has a ring because Quick got really hot two years ago.

10. blackandyellow71 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Remember when Giroux was touted as the best player in the world.

• pdmjr - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

When the hell was that?

• alicesrightfootesq - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM

When he had Jagr making him look better.

• narfmoo12 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

You’re going to use Yzerman’s selections as proof he’s not? He didn’t take St. Louis from his own team, and chose Jeff Carter over Giroux and St. Louis. Clearly he made some mistakes.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM

How can you say a mistake was made? I think giroux should absolutely be on this team but the GM has a vision of what he thinks will work as a whole team and this is his squad. Anyone here gonna argue Kunitz is better? But he serves a purpose that some of these snubs don’t

• valente317 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I’m a huge lightning fan, and I’m going to argue that there isn’t space for a playmaking winger like St Louis on the team with all of the playmaking skill up the center and on defense. Kunitz is, without a doubt, a better choice to play alongside Crosby and finish the chances that affords him.

St Louis would be on the roster if Stamkos were a sure-thing, but no one actually knows when Stammer is going to be game-ready.

• narfmoo12 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Because Jeff Carter is on the team. He doesn’t pass, play defense, or hit the target. The typical Jeff Carter shift is him shooting as hard as possible off the glass behind the net starting an odd man rush for the other team while he goes to the bench.

11. blomfeld - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

GO KINGS !! … ER, GO CANADA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Carter and Doughty on board, Canada’s now ‘guaranteed’ a medal !! … and you can take that to the bank !!! :) :) :)

12. lowenni - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Pretty impressive roster. Must say I’m very surprised at Jeff Carter’s inclusion over Giroux. As for Thornton his skating speed just wouldn’t cut it on the big ice. I like the defense a lot, lot of versatility and talent. I’ll be interested to see if Subban ends up being an extra or a starter.

And you know what, I’m glad to see Kunitz made it, great story for a guy who was never even drafted, and then went from a mediocre contributor to a star. Now he’s on the Olympic team, and will likely be playing alongside the greatest player in the world. Just a great story for an undrafted player. Too bad St. Louis didn’t make it though to cap off a great career.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I don’t agree with you. There is no room room for Giroux on this team because he can’t be playing on the top 6. Period! Carter will be able to play no problem on the bottom six because he will adjust to playing less minutes. Not good to put a guy like Giroux in your bottom six. He won’t like playing less than he does in Philly. Carter is the perfect type of player to be in your bottom six. This is not an all star team. Big difference!

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Where would you put Giroux?

Duchesne-Crosby-Kunitz
      Sharp-Toews-Stamkos
      Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
      Marleau-Bergeron-Carter

Jamie Benn/John Tavares

• lowenni - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Carter is definitely not an ideal bottom-6 player because he doesn’t play great defense and he doesn’t hit. I don’t see him fitting on a two-way line with Bergeron and Marleau. Benn is a solid body and could work there, however. I agree that there might not be space for Giroux, but that doesn’t mean there should be for Carter.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

You may be right. Carter may not even dress. The point is Carter is not in the top 6 and problem at the bottom of the remaining 8th.

13. pdmjr - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

James Neal left off huh? Good the USA thanks the Canadian Gov’t

• hazlydose - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Neal can’t skate well enough for the big ice. He just pokes around and has no hustle to his game. He’s basically a floating wrist shot platform.

• Tyler - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM

So he’s a Canadian version of Ovechkin?

• chanceoffleury - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I feel very differently. Malkin is a superb skater and very fast, and Neal is usually with him or ahead of him on the breakaway. Floating sort of insinuates a lollygagging sort of purpose on the ice. Watching Neal and Malkin work on the ice I have a hard time describing anything they do as slow.

14. btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I asked logan couture how much he wanted to be on Canada and his face just lit up. Most likely the hand surgery cost him his spot or realy A stupid move, Chance stamkos is out maybe couture fills in

• elvispocomo - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM

You asked him, eh? The interview with Couture today noted he’d been told he wasn’t making the team regardless of he injury. If Stamkos can’t go then it’d have to fall to Giroux as Stamkos would be playing wing anyway.

15. mattryannolan - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Kinda shocked to see Kunitz, Carter, Nash, and Sharp make it.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Are you crazy? Shocked to see Sharp…… The others I get…. but Sharp… What have you bee watching?

Kunitz is having a great year next to Sid. Expect to see him next to Sid in Sochi. Still shocked? Then you don’t get it.

Carter is excellent for your bottom 6. He’ll be ok with playing less minutes. Still shocked?

Nash has always played well in international games partly because of his speed, size, and puck handling abilities. He’s one of those players who can benefit a great deal from the larger ice surfaces.

If you’re still shocked, then you’re just stubborn.

16. penguins87and71 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Nash over Neal?

• elvispocomo - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Yup, international experience. Nash is very good at international tournaments, same with Eric Staal. Both good players who have had off years at times yet always warrant consideration when Team Canada is getting picked.

17. spezzdispenser - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Jay Bouwmeester is the most overrated defenseman in the league

• elvispocomo - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Care to back that up? He wasn’t worth the deal Calgary signed him to when he came from Florida, but he’s a big minute defenceman with size and offensive ability. He was one of my picks that would make it.

• hazlydose - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Jay Bouwmeester is probably the best pure skating defenseman in the league not named Erik Karlsson.

• comeonnowguys - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM

If we’re qualifying it on pure skating, you’re ignoring Nick Leddy.

18. stepanup - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Talent was never a question. Bergeron was a smart inclusion. Scary roster, and it’s easy to overlook the incredible D just because of the marquee names up front.

The whole presentation though? Kind of a joke. There’s clearly nothing more important going on in Canada. Makes me happy to be an American that our announcement was made in a much more celebratory way than that awkward pressure-packed news conference.

• elvispocomo - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM

The US announcement had to fit in at the end of all the highlights for the other sports, so they couldn’t make it very long. College football and Nascar get bigger billing than hockey in most US markets.

In Canada, hockey’s the biggest game everywhere. I could care less about the minister of sport speaking and all that, but that’s how big hockey is here.

• stepanup - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I totally get that. But how many people did they have to hand the mic to before making the actual announcement?

• elvispocomo - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Fair enough, but it is more of a massive media event here so I think it took on a life of it’s own for presentation’s sake. It was still overkill for almost anyone watching – even us Canadians.

19. hockeydon10 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM

While this d-man list is certainly great, it still feels lesser than 2010.

Anyway, hard to call. Between Canada, USA, Sweden and Russia it’s looking like a really competitive tourney. Can’t wait.

• btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Russia roster is kind of a billboard they advertise malkin pavel OVI KOVALCHUK semin and if u look past those top 2 lines there’s realy nothing but khl and nothing on defense

• coolkidchris - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Well they don’t have Pronger and Niedermayer this time…..

20. jkay1818 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Nice roster. Unbiased opinion, America can definitely compete. One thing i don’t understand and maybe other comments can enlighten me. This is the second or third time today it’s been written on PHT on how deep Sweden’s defense is and Canada’s is the best and only Sweden comes close.
    America’s D is pretty damn nasty, they have incredible skaters back there and quite a few with some offensive talent. I just don’t see how Sweden is better than what America is offering. If all goes to plan a US and Canada rematch would be incredible. Canada’s roster is scary. Didn’t expect to see Carter there at all.

• valente317 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

The critics of the USA defense have been focusing on the inclusion of Orpik and Martin, both of whom might be a bit too slow to compete on the larger ice…though Orpik was steady in Vancouver 2010.

They forget that Suter can play half a game, if need be, and that Shattenkirk, Carlson, and Fowler have all been playing at a very high level as of late. Faulk is an underdog selection who has shown some strong promise in international competitions.

The US will compete, have no worries. I sort of wish the internet had been around in 1979, just to read to comment section after Brooks picked his olympic squad.

• vockeea - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Well said, just wanted to reply because the 2010 Olympics were played on Vancouver’s ice which is NHL sized.

• jkay1818 - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM

you also forgot mcdonagh, he’s a beast and can log mins as well. top flight dman. i think they are real solid back there

21. valente317 - Jan 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM

—-Thoughts:
    -Kunitz over Neal because he has shown better chemistry with Crosby.
    -I have to think Seguin would have been higher on the list than Neal when it comes to a shooting finisher. Neal is slow.
    -Carter as the obvious spare for when they need someone who isn’t afraid to fire the puck.
    -There just isn’t space for more playmakers in St Louis and Giroux.
    -Thornton and Boyle have lost a step, and might be vulnerable on the larger ice.
    -Seabrook isn’t an elite defender.
    -Crawford isn’t an elite goalie.

I have to think that many of the selections were toss-ups, but there is a pretty clear trend of having responsible, play-making centers and pure scoring wingers, so most of it makes sense to me.

With Bergy, Crosby, Getzlaf, Tavares, and Toews up the center, and Kieth, Pietrangelo, and Subban on the backend, the team has all the playmaking it could ever need.

Then they have a group of guys on the wing who can feed off the playmakers with strong shooting – Kunitz, Duchene, Perry, Sharp, Stamkos, and Carter.

They round out the wings with guys who can use physicality to get to the dirty areas and skill to bull their way through defenses – Benn, Marleau, Nash

22. bucrightoff - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM

No offense to Kunitz, but Neal is playing at a higher level. I’m also pretty sure he would have some good chemistry with Crosby.

• valente317 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Neal may be a better player overall, but he has shown he does not have the same chemistry with Crosby. His production stagnates without Malkin. There also has to be a concern about his speed on the international ice, since he has never been swift-footed.

• vockeea - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I wouldn’t consider Neal’s recent production on Crosby’s wing as stagnate.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Pretty sure doesn’t cut it. Kunitz already has the good chemistry with Crosby, so it makes perfect sense for him to be there instead of Neal.

23. nyeagles10 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

umm steven stamkos ? I thought he was on the IR ?

• valente317 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I have no doubt that Stamkos will be in game condition by the medal round, if not the qualifiers. His recovery pace thus far has been absolutely inhuman.

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Hmmm! idk, but the good thing is that the can change the roster on Jan 25th. Depending on the rehab he may or may not be on the roster when the Olympics open.

24. slaugin - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Neal’s chances of making the team ended when he Knee’d the head of a player in front of Coach and GM of Team Canada

• kaptaanamerica - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM

It probably called into question the guys decision making ability if he can’t control himself…

25. bronxtale247 - Jan 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Rick the flower forward Nash!!

26. pastabelly - Jan 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I don’t think that Subban is a mistake. You may not want him on the ice when you are nursing a one gaol lead late in a game, but you absolutely want him on your power play. If used right, he’s a positive difference maker (and I ‘m a Bruins fan).

• joey4id - Jan 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Hmmm! I’m not sure Subban will be dressed in the medal rounds if everyone is healthy. Knowing how Subban is I have no doubt is going to push hard during practices. There is pretty good talent on the right side….

Left
      Jay Bouwmeester
      Dan Hamhuis
      Marc-Edouard Vlasic
      Duncan Keith

Right
      Drew Doughty
      Alex Pietrangelo
      P.K. Subban
      Shea Weber

27. matt14gg - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I’m a Bruins fan, and also a USA fan, so I don’t really care if Canada wins or not. I can’t stand Subban, but if you don’t think Subban belongs on this team I’d suggest you don’t really follow the game, you just don’t like Subban (which I get), or you’re not really familiar with the Olympic format. Whatever else you think of him he’s fast, he’s skilled and he can shoot the SH– out of the puck. The Olympics is going to be about offense and you need as many offensive players as you can get, which is why it’s ridiculous that Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik made the US team. Canada has a nice team (albeit with some questionable omissions). Team USA on the other hand sucks (Blake Wheeler over Bobby Ryan is criminal) and has no chance.

• endusersolutions2013 - Jan 8, 2014 at 5:01 AM

Not sure the worse – Dustin Brown over Ryan, Wheeler and Brown over Saad).

Regardles of your team alegiences, this roster was clearly less that the best Team USA could have put forth.

Some re-thinking amoung who erts to selectins probably indicated. For example, Poile focuses on D, and his team struggles to score.

28. muckleflugga - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM

i think canada is icing a quality fourth place finisher in sochi…maybe…

might be worse…seeding saved us a look into the medal round…the americans can only hope for divine intervention [ read nbc ]

as some wag correctly stated, canada assembles ‘fantasy’ teams…russia and sweden will be feeding us our lunch on olympic-sized ice with ‘hockey’ teams…their fundamental training, enriching higher level skill sets and two-way disciplined play, particularly on special teams, is profoundly better than ours…

russia and sweden are more capable of bringing a diverse assemblage because their hockey culture is itself, founded on common principles of speed and finesse, nation wide

brent sutter nailed it on the head…we’re not adapting to change as it relates to emergence of the well-rounded speed and skill hockey being developed over there…cherry’s position betrays our fundamental flaws; arrogance, conceit and will to maintain a status quo against progressive change…frankly, we’re starting to look out of touch and backward…

over here we continue to pander to nhl marketing requirements in player development…size and muscle to dominate speed and finesse on crowded smaller ice…then we bring that product to europe where the nhl game is irrelevant, hoping for success

had sochi selections been my choice, my first criterion would have been the extent of in-game experience on olympic ice that candidates bring, involving proven capacity for spatial reasoning as it relates to position on ice:

attacking and defending angles on wider and longer ice, deflection angles off boards and off goalies, space behind goal lines, corners with larger radii, and in-arena sound dynamics; elements largely alien to those who’ve played the game on north american ice most of their lives

pray you don’t hook a team populated with quality european players accustomed to big ice and arena dynamics, players for which there’s no known book, in the first few games of consequence or you’ll be a spectator soon enough

second criterion:

two-way speed; to commit flat-out on the rush then commit flat-out in recovery on the back-check…stamina and anaerobic capacity is everything on olympic ice…ability to change on-the-fly through rushes either way is critical…getting pinned in one’s own end while tired is suicide with massive space to move against fixed defensive boxing…

long changes in second periods will decide every game between contenders

addition of youth and young legs to teams will prove critical in the end game…leaving a healthy couture, giroux and hall out of the mix will prove lamentable…large open ice where size and brutality as controlling agents are of little consequence, makes these guys superstars in international play…each snipers tailored for space to do their thing in the offensive zone

with a likely-minded and gifted toews, they’d have been unstoppable

russia’s move to youth will by itself, demonstrate our deficiencies in that regard

goalies unaccustomed to big ice are most vulnerable…defensive sets, angles, and behind net play will be vexing to the uninitiated…flopping and sprawling goalies like luongo and smith are fish for dinner in a milieu where laser-like wrist shots and backhands reign supreme…roof daddy all day long…bring the octinoxate in quart bottles…a healthy brodeur was the man…

and, players presently active in europe will wear north-american teams ragged with harrying speed; ego and accomplishment on small ice mean nothing against relentless close-quarter checking on big ice…crosby will be tested and likely rendered neuter by players you’ve never heard of, commissioned to smother his every move…there will be tears…worried panels and long faces…a big run on flat panels post olympics

the fact of the matter is, crosby has never demonstrated the character and resolve to overcome blanketing purposeful coverage…that play brings-out the trembling lower lip and me me me complex every time

before awarding gold and silver to canada and the u.s., big on ink, egos and self-importance, watch how darlings of the hockey-hype machine over here deal with relentless checking over there

third criterion:

quick afoot in tight and nifty puck handlers generally, suited to odd-man play on rushes or on special teams…defensemen with these attributes, over size, are highly desired

and, large puck controlling forwards capable of fending checks on the offensive boards and behind the net where space makes them massive threats, buying time for snipers to roll into space and striking lanes for pinpoint feeds are a must…

rick nash is a superb addition to this purpose…joe thornton, an egregious omission jumbo in proportion, as is joe pavelski or couture in concert with thornton…leave thornton off team canada, look for a berth in the consolation rounds while russia laughs behind their hands…

no one in the game is a better passer than joe thornton under mauling defensive attack

fourth criterion:

forget the big shots the cannons the howitzers…everyone can bring-it with carbon fibre…tailing-off in north america is use of the laser-like wrist shot and snap-shot…the backhand is reaching obsolescence…not in europe where wrist shots and backhand shots enjoy renaissance against over-sized goalies, equipment and flopping play

bring players who can get quick but deadly shots off from the lanes and low angle corners…use the backhand for sweeping around scrambled net play…think mike bossy mickey redmond pavel datsyuk by way of model

final criterion:

a team of shrinks, experts at motivation…

capable of preparing and arming players for hate and abuse to come –canada is despised in international hockey for its inability to respond to superior skill with nothing more than brutality…earplugs for constant whistling derision will be de rigueur…

capable of regrouping mind-sets smug and comfortable after pounding some hapless olympic throw-in like norway and austria, by twelve goals, then subsequently facing some hard-assed team from the balkans who shave with broken glass and cold water…because they like it…

and capable of reassembling shattered egos long bloated by superfluous man-love and slavish devotion from network spawned hockey-hype…recovery from debilitating loss in time to mount a unified and fresh attack will require soothing words…what player on canada can rally a trailing team when nhl nurtured jealousies haunt their souls…?

nope, we’re in tough so i’m hedging…

go russia, go sweden…pure game

pure gold

29. endusersolutions2013 - Jan 8, 2014 at 2:22 AM

While, I’m a pretty well known Hawks fan, when I look at the D men there, I can’t speak too negatively about their not selecting B Seabrook, looking at wh they’d have to not take. Judgement call, Keith was a given. For perhaps every other team, he’d be on the 1st or 2nd pair, playing nightly (well, perhaps not Team USA with the pair Bylsma lobbying for due to his familiarity with them)

Actually I think it’s best for the Hawks anyway, as last year, he was fading down the stretch due to all the minutes he played. Getting some rest and coming back with an attitude is probably a good thing. Still think Saad would have been a better pick that Dustin Brown (not just points, but overall ability. 2 1/2 x better shooting % to boot.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches